• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

pjf

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To perform maintenance on my 75-gallon reef aquarium, I plan to drain half of the water into a plastic garbage can lined with a new plastic garbage bag. Afterwards, the water will be pumped back into the tank.

Do I need to be worried about chemicals from the garbage bag leaching into the water?

atnixon

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, i can only answer this for the UK, but i would imagine it could be the same..

Garbage bags, rubble bags etc etc are coated in a dry powder pesticide. You can feel it if you rub the bag between your fingers. I personally dont trust something that does not have a breakdown of its ingredients..and that includes bags..Lets face it, it is not just plastic in them as we all think..All garbage bags are designed to be bio-degradable..plastic itself, does not bio-degrade..

Just my 2p worth

Niko

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why do you need to line them with bags? why can't you just use the plastic trash cans? rinse them out and just use that?

atnixon

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to agree with Shavo here....its all i use for moving water, fish from one tank to another etc etc..It will be fine as long as you make sure they are clean..

Niko

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pjf":3gqtnpg4 said:
Do I need to be worried about chemicals from the garbage bag leaching into the water?

As posted above, yes you do so count me as another vote against that idea :D .

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some plastic bag has deoderant and antibacterial chemical in there to keep the smell down. Bad.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: