• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you all agree that maxijet makes a better powerhead in general?

Also, do these 2 share the same size outlets and inlets?

Thanks,

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a rio 400 die and release some gunk into the tank. Lucky for me that it did not kill anything.

Out of the 3 maxijets I,ve had only one has died, with no ill effects. Plus now you can MaxiMod.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't.

In my hands, Maxijets don't last as long (magnetic impellers crack, for example) and heat the water up more than rios that displace an equivalent volume. Rios move more water per watt consumed.

If you use a rio for a year or two and replace it, you might be better off.

I'm not a fan of rios, by the way, and I'm now buying Eheim pumps and power heads for the new tank am setting up.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I -think- they both fit to 1/2" ID tubing, but I won't swear to it.

I'd never, ever use a Rio for anything. Ever.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RIO is terrible IMO. Mine lasted less than 6 months before it seized up. Luckily I was there when it happened and pulled it out immediately with no ill effects. I upgraded my skimmer from a rio to a MJ12 and have 2 other MJ running in my tank for a year + now. I clean them often though. I clean all my stuff very frequently. Big fan of MJ not a fan of rio. I love the MJ mod that I have now figured out. It pushes a ton of water. Circulating my 90 right now by itself while I stock wiht sand and LR. Have to let it sit for a few days due to a back injury.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's never been a consideration in my mind to even look at a maxijet, they "top of the line" moves what? less than 300 gph? Sure maybe that's nice for those with 10 gallon tanks or something, but for tanks going to 50+ gallons you're better off with things that move much more water volume.

However with the "maximod" I am thinking of looking towards a maxi to make a 2000gph powerhead.

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm just shocked that you guys put that much thought into a 20-25 dollar item. buy one of each...decide for yourself. :?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only reason I got rid of my old maxi-jet 1000 after years and years of service was the bracket broke and sent the powerhead into a pile of mushrooms...replaced with...guess what... the maxi-jet 1200, and I fully expect years and years of service.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: