• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

sslarison

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I found a deal on a 90g here locally and I dont think I can pass it up. I know I have seen this question before but will I have any weight issues with my floor? My house was built in 1950 and it has the raised foundation with a crawl space underneath. I have read around a lot but I want to know what some of you guys are doing and if anyone has had an issue with this? The tank wil be paralell to the joists which I know isnt good, but it will be up against an exterior wall.

Should I go down there and add support? Should I not worry about it?

What do you think?

Thanks,

Scott

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Scott,

A 90 gallon will rarely present an issue for any flooring. Most older houses have stronger floors then modern houses, so the fact that your house was built in the 1950s is not really a negative (could be a positive). I would make sure to situatuate the tank so that it runs across multiple floor joists, not parallel to just a few.

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you can stand on one foot in your house and not fall through the floor, chances are you'll be fine.
i have done the math on my 125...and like i said, if i stand on one foot, i put more pressure in that square foot area than my tank does.
it wouldn't seem so, but it's true. :wink:

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Scott,

FYI: Your registered email (@aol.com) is bouncing. Someone is trying to email you but I get the undeliverable error messages. Might want to update it :)

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hehe. I really wouldn't worry, Scott. I've had similiar situations in the past in a house that is at least 40 years old.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it wouldn't hurt (for at least peace of mind) to put up a couple of pillars or sister the joists. I still think it's unnecessary, but if it makes you feel safer, go for it :) Or you can bring in a contractor to inspect the integrity of your floor for any problems. If there are no problems, a 90 gallon will be no problem on any remotely decently constructed floor.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had my old 90G in a third story apt. (across from a 55G), and in three houses, the last one, a 1936 Bay Area warped floor creaker. I have never given it a second thought where I put it. I never had any problems with it falling through floors.. You should be fine. :wink:

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sslarison":2u8032j0 said:
Thanks Trido. All of these comments are helping my confidence.

BTW I am a residential General Contractor.

I cant give you a personal guarantee without first physically seeing your house though. :P

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too wouldn't worry about the tank on the floor but definitely put the tank perpendicular to the joists and not parallel.

sslarison

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JustPhish":3v25yezy said:
I too wouldn't worry about the tank on the floor but definitely put the tank perpendicular to the joists and not parallel.

Well my plan at this point is to put in the spot I want it (which is paralell to the joists) and add support under it. I'm thinking of using 2"x6"s and joining the two joists and the wall support beam together every foot under the tank. Will this work? I figure it will distribute the stress over more area.

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're doing something other than placing the tank perpendicular to the floor joists against a bearing wall, then you will probably need additional support.

Nobody can really say whether your situation will be OK without knowing how your floor is constructed and where in particular the tank will sit in relation to the floor framing. With a load of this magnitude you won't see a dramatic failure (ie. your tank is not going to fall through the floor) but it may cause excessive deflection in your floor construction (now or over time) which can lead to other problems.

If you post dimensions of your floor joists, how far they span unsupported, how they are spaced (ie. 16" on center, 24" on center, etc.) and then describe where the tank will be in the room (ie. distance from walls) we can make some assumptions and I can calculate the expected deflection and give you a much better answer.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the area under the tank is accessable and not really a living area I would just use floor jacks. I used two under my 180 in my livingroom.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: