• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Well, it was only a matter of time. I have been rushing to get my replacement tank set up before the last top brace snapped, and I came up about a day short. I should be receiving the last plumbing part today in the mail and then I will spend the rest of the night and tomorrow transferring all the stuff from the 46 to the 90. As I came home from work last night at 0300 I closed the garage door and while doing that I heard the cable snap. I am now on full blown emergency mode lol. Luckily for me the aquarium is holding for the time being. I have luckily been circulating water, new cured LR, a few pieces of my LR, live sand and a few cup fulls of my old sand for over a week now. So hopefully the shock of changing tanks will be lessoned by the hopefully semi-cycled tank. Anyone have any suggestions of what I could do otherwise that I haven't thought of already?

A

Anonymous

DRAIN HALF THE TANK NOW.

a friend of mine had a 110 brace break. he thought it would last the weekend. he went to florida. The next day it snapped and he came back from florida. . .

If you have some spare rubbermaid tubs, heaters, powerheads, ect. I'd get them going now.

B

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I would transfer all your rock, corals, and fish to a large rubbermaid tub, and put up a heater, PHs, and if you have to only wait for a day or two, no need for a light. If it's going to be a while, rig up your lighting over.

You definitely don't want to come home to a drained tank! 8O

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a mad dash I transfered everything to the new tank with some temporary plumbing. I am still waiting on the piece to come in to give me 2 outlets on the penductors. Right now I have one penductor going and the MJ mod and the current in the 90 is crazy. Huge water movement. Everythign is happy this AM. Corals have polyps out, fish are starting to explore, anenome is happy. I get to spend all day now trying to aquascape. Woohoo. I know what I want to do with the tank, it is just a matter of figuring out how to do it.

Anyone looking for a skimmer, I am absolutely impressed with my new Euro Reef. It was truly plug and play. I put it in the sump and away it went. I am very impressed.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear from you again Bingo. How is everything? If you ever need any frags I can hook you up since you were so gracious to me last year. I still have all the corals but the frogspawn. My clowns tried to host in it and killed it over night. The rest are doing great. Thanks again.

mike90

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when you guys are talking about the support brace are you referring to the plastic piece that runs across the tank on the top?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. If you look up my tnak under member tanks, you will see the pics of when my MH melted the brace. I replaced it with cables and they rusted through and snapped. Then first one snapped about a month ago and the last one snapped 2 nights ago. It keeps the tnak from bowing or bulging from the pressure of the water and rocks. After so long of not having one, the silicone will start to give and the tank can fail.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear you got the stuff out.

I'm doing well. I'm swamped with work, my stand, hood, sump/fuge are done. I just need a new tank. I ordered one from glass cages and they didn't make it. A regular oceanic is 1/4" too wide for my stand. So I have to either pay someone ($1000+) to build it or build it myself.

If I get a day off anytime soon I'm building it.

My clowns LOVED my frogspawn until I got them an anenome. Did I give you any pink/orangeish rics? Mine all died while I was out on tour. I'd like a frag back once I get my tank up and running.

BTW, where's pics of the new setup?

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don't have any rics. You gave me some candies and the frog and I think a frag of SPS. Unlike Len.... ask and you shall receive. The stand is almost done. By that I mean, the sides are done and on, the front is stained and laquered with the door cut out but not attached until I am done assembling the system (easier to maneuver). I haven't put the trim on yet either so, it is alot farther along than what my pics show lol.

Attachments

• DSC_0001_edited-1-1.jpg
    DSC_0001_edited-1-1.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 2,115
  • DSC_0002_edited-1.jpg
    DSC_0002_edited-1.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 2,116
  • left side reef face.jpg
    left side reef face.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 2,115
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more

Attachments

• New tank shot 1.jpg
    New tank shot 1.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 2,114
  • right side island.jpg
    right side island.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 2,114
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goal here is to have a reef face on the left that covers up the overflow. The right I wanted a seperate island for LPS and softies. I wanted a canyon to run in between and have plenty of swimming room through the rocks and open water around the island and in the front. I painted the back of the tank midnight blue from HD. I haven't hooked up the chiller yet because I never topped 77 degrees today which is exactly what I want the tank at. Since we have some cool weather right now I will probably take the chiller in to an AC repair place and get a check up and then plumb it in. Unfortunately it is too big to fit in the stand as is the 100lb C02 tank so they will be visible. Anyone have any suggestions for cord control? I have a ton of cords everywhere and I just looped them and piled them. There has to be a better way.

pcardone

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mounted a power strip on the left wall inside my stand for my pumps. one on the right for my light timers. My mushrooms play hell with the Montipora. I think you should do one or the other.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cable ties. Coil up the cables and put a couple of cable ties on. Then you have nice neat coils. put a screw, nail, hook, beside the power strip so you have a place to hang the coils.

B

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranger, looking great!!!! :D Remember, I'm first in line for the clean-out!!!

pcardone":3n5q15rs said:
I mounted a power strip on the left wall inside my stand for my pumps. one on the right for my light timers. My mushrooms play hell with the Montipora. I think you should do one or the other.

:lol:

He hates the mushrooms!!!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms are part of the axis of evil in reefing IMO. They should be smited. BUT the wife and kids like them so they stay as long as they are on their best behavior. As soon as they near or effect the corals around them they are gone.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranger":12uo8tqv said:
Mushrooms are part of the axis of evil in reefing IMO. They should be smited. BUT the wife and kids like them so they stay as long as they are on their best behavior. As soon as they near or effect the corals around them they are gone.

Good luck removing them. Once they are in the tank they are there for good.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: