• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

How safe is it to order fish online? I am in New York and winter has arrived. I know they can use heat packs but is that enough for the cold in the North East. If I ordered the fish I wouldn;t get to them until ~7:00 PM when I got home. Would they be OK?

The LFS's around are horrible and dont stock much and dont do custom orders.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ordered many fish online for my make-believe tank. It's perfectly safe if the vendor is experienced. It's best to ship when the weather is warmer, of course, but they regularly ship in cold weather as well.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in CT and I get fish and corals all winter long. I actually prefer to ship in colder weather over hot weather...within reason. The fish and corals can take a 10-15 degree drop in temperature just fine if you care for them properly when they arrive. A 10-15 degree rise in temperature is almost a guaranteed fatality.

Of course this all depends on whether your items are being properly shipped from a reputable place.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHo is a very god reputable dealer of fish that wont kill me in shipping?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipping is expensive. Gas is high, that's how it goes. If you're not paying for the shipping cost directly, then you're paying it on the front end with higher livestock prices. Either way, you ARE paying for it.

Should be able to do a search on here and see who to roll with.

Good luck.

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm..those clams are about half price of anywhere i have seen!
i may be throwing caution to the wind soon and making an order!
(it's not that i don't trust, i just fear for the livestock)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: