• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

clownfool

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wanting to set up a 80g tank in my Kitchen on tile that is 1 foot square each. The person that laid the tile said I wouldn't be able to set up a aquarium on the tile because it would crack. What do you think?
the stand is 48" X 19". I am thinking that once the stand, aquarium, live rock,water, and canopy it would be very heavy, but I wouldn't think it would crack the tile.

anyone got a big tank on tile?

let me know

thanks

aljndrno

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have my aquarium set up on tile, but I have experience with tile. It all depends on what your tiles are laid on, is it plywood or a cement slab? You probably won't have a problem if it's on a cement slab, but on plywood even with extra joist to hold the weight, tile can eventually crack. You may get lucky and not have it crack, but that's the risk you have to take. A quarter inch tile on plywood, weight of the tank (completely set up), people mingling around the tank...you're probably looking at about 1000 lbs of weight right there. Think about it. IMO. Don't do it.

clownfool

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I set it up on tile , it's only 8 tiles it could crack. My mom has at least 10 tiles left over. If they crack and I take down the tank, couldn't the 8 tiles be taken out and redone with my extra tiles?

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I occasionally set tile. I would think that if it were properly installed you wouldnt have to worry about setting anything on it. That would be like me installing 12" tile in some ones kitchen and telling them that they cant install a 48" stainless steel wolf range because it weighs near 400lbs and all of the weight is on four tiny legs. Or all of the equipment on a tile floor in a restaurant for that matter. Since it is over concrete you really shouldnt have a worry in the world except dropping glass and such on it.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 90 g was set on tile in my old house - no problem.

It is now on tile in my new house - again no problem.

Fact is, I would never do it any other way! Tile is great for those accidents that we all have. Very tough and easy to clean.

FWIW, the tile in the old house, ceramic on concrete. Now porcelaine on wonder board sub floor.

mike90

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should be fine. i would probably buy one of those rubber matts that you can probabaly get at sears that people put down so it's not hard on there feet. it kind of givess a little cusion to it. that way it might self level the tank as well.

das75

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you distribute the weight say with 3/4" ply cut the foot print of your stand rather than just having the weight bear on a few points.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I upgraded to a 180 in my living room, I cut out the berber rug where I wanted the tank. Underneath was hardwood. On top of that I added 1/4 inch plywood, and then tiled the area under the tank. Just in case of water spills and the like.

None of the tiles I can see cracked. No idea if anything underneath cracked. But I doubt it. Perhaps the person who laid the tile knows their work was uneven and that why they are so sure the tank will crack it. ;)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 385Ga is on tile with a rectangular footprint. Under the galvanised frame I put two thin layers of rubber-like material. The floor proved to be very off-level so the setup needed propping and I fully expected the tiles to crack. (Combined display/sump/ equip/stand/abinet is prolly around 2 metric tons!) 8 months later and I have not seen a single tile crack. Just lucky I geuss. Go for it, but be prepared to have some tiles crack. (PS My tiles are laid on concrete)

melas

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
using liberal numbers i'd figure you have and average of 140 lbs/sq foot. depending on the hardness of your tile (they are rated 1-5 with 5 being the hardest) you really shouldn't be in any danger. having properly installed tile will be key though. if the subfloor has any kind of subsidence under the weight of the tank the tiles will crack. tile has a very high compressive strength and very low tensile strength. a sheet of 3/4" plywood will do virtually nothing to distribute the weight due to its flexibility. just make sure that stand has a frame touching the floor the entire perimeter of the stand. If you are really worried you could add another set of 2 x 4's to bottom frame to beef it up a bit and distribute the weight over a greater surface area, though i think this would be unnecessary.

EmilyB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked for a lot of advice and was told to leave out the tile where the tank would be, and just have enough extra tile if we wanted to take out the tank someday. Ceramic tile can crack very easily, when installing a weak area can crack from walking on it if it's not perfectly level. So we did that.

Blue Tang

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi mate, I layed my own tiles downstairs, then I put a 600 ltr tank and stand on it , bolted it down as well , its on a concrete slab tiles are fine , if there are no hollows under the tiles it should be ok! you should be ok if it's on a concrete slab mate , all the best!
Blue Tang :mrgreen:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: