Hecruzen

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After all my fish died, I have let my tank sit for a few weeks with filters and pumps running to cycle through again. I have tested water levels and it all seems good to go again. In two weeks I will add more fish.
I have a HOB filter, looking for best ATO system and protein skimmer for this go around. Didn’t have either the last time. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Size tank? Sump? More current tank details would help.

Seen a lot of people using with good reviews.

Skimmer is based on bio load, tank size and in sump? hob skimmers were often trash.

Hecruzen

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a 45 gallon bow tank. No sump. Two power heads. Had tank up and running with clownfish and they died suddenly. Let the tank sit and cycle. By the time I put fish in it again will be almost a month.

Size tank? Sump? More current tank details would help.

Seen a lot of people using with good reviews.

Skimmer is based on bio load, tank size and in sump? hob skimmers were often trash.

Hecruzen

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was running for about 2-3 weeks. And yes I believe I did. I had them for about 4-6 weeks. We went on a mini vacation (had someone come feed them who knew how) and we came back and they were dead. From what I read, one might have been stressed out.. which spread to the others. My husband and I are new at the marine tanks but care for animals deeply and want to make sure we are doing it right.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I havent had fish die on me for a long time. Make sure fish are healthy and eating before buying. Or buy from a reputable LFS. QT is best but I take my chances and havent had an issue.

Good to see in LFS living without issue for awhile.

Dont buy from places like petco.

I would QT if introducing after months or year after tank is established.

Hecruzen

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We definitely bought from an independently owned LFS. Saw them eat and interact with the owner. They were like puppy dogs when he walked by wanting fed. I went to the store a few times before I bought the fish to get water and check it out.

Im will to try anything!! I love the advice. Please send more!

I havent had fish die on me for a long time. Make sure fish are healthy and eating before buying. Or buy from a reputable LFS. QT is best but I take my chances and havent had an issue.

Good to see in LFS living without issue for awhile.

Dont buy from places like petco.

I would QT if introducing after months or year after tank is established.

but I love the advice. Okease

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Ah, I see you never figured out why they died, though I still believe it was due to high heat/ low oxygen.
Adding a hang on back protein skimmer would be very helpful. it super oxygenates the water, while removing wastes. Just make sure you get one with an overflow option, that can drip into a bucket if you go on vacation. Some tanks collect a cup of waste a day, some just an ounce. There are low profile models, that are 3 inches deep, since your tank is already set up.

As for an auto top off, you don't need the best one, there are mechanical models, Jebao makes one for a few bucks. You put the pump in the 5 gallon bucket, and the sensor in the main tank, but if you have current in there, the sensor wont work well. Most people place the sensor in the sump where the water is calm.

A simpler method would be a a drip system. Thats using a plastic container placed above the tank, and a simple valve on the hose, which drips water in at a slow rate, like 1 drop every 2 seconds. That adds a calculable volume of water into your tank per day. I think the container they sell is a bit on the small size, like 1 gallons, Take a look at it and you'll see you can make your own using the rectangular 2 gallon water with spigot at the super market, and tubing of the right diameter.

Hecruzen

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice! This may be a dumb Question but is there a possibility that it was over oxygenated? We had to add an air stone. We had cyano shortly after we got the clownfish so I added chemicals and it said to add extra oxygen like an air stone and we never removed the air stone bc we liked how it looked. I do believe the tank got too hot. Our air conditioning stayed on but I usually watch my temp like a hawk and while on vacation I didn’t have my friend watch it.
Ah, I see you never figured out why they died, though I still believe it was due to high heat/ low oxygen.
Adding a hang on back protein skimmer would be very helpful. it super oxygenates the water, while removing wastes. Just make sure you get one with an overflow option, that can drip into a bucket if you go on vacation. Some tanks collect a cup of waste a day, some just an ounce. There are low profile models, that are 3 inches deep, since your tank is already set up.

As for an auto top off, you don't need the best one, there are mechanical models, Jebao makes one for a few bucks. You put the pump in the 5 gallon bucket, and the sensor in the main tank, but if you have current in there, the sensor wont work well. Most people place the sensor in the sump where the water is calm.

A simpler method would be a a drip system. Thats using a plastic container placed above the tank, and a simple valve on the hose, which drips water in at a slow rate, like 1 drop every 2 seconds. That adds a calculable volume of water into your tank per day. I think the container they sell is a bit on the small size, like 1 gallons, Take a look at it and you'll see you can make your own using the rectangular 2 gallon water with spigot at the super market, and tubing of the right diameter.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Yes, I remember your last post, Its possible there was a short power failure at your home? a couple of hours of outage and the tank shuts down.
There is no problems with extra oxygen, but the power heads put more oxygen in your tank then a single air stone. The power heads should be set up, so that the water current flows across the surface, causing a "convention current" in the tank, a big gyre. I don't like air stones, because they also cause splashing and the salt gets every where inside the electricals in the hood.
As for temperature, I just wanted to remind you that it's simply not the room air temperature, you need a thermometer in the water as well. A tight fitting hood with lighting, makes a little oven in there. Make sure there is air flowing through and under the hood. You should have a fan intergrated into the hood to exhaust hot air, it may not be enough. Measure the air temperature in this space, it may be 85 or even 90F. ie T5 bulbs bring the air to 100F+ within the fixture itself. They are hot to the touch. LEDs are cooler.

As for cyano, you probably used antibiotics, such as "red slime remover", if your tank is empty now, simply turn off the lights. The cyano need light to live.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: