Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Having a big issue with silicon in my tank killing my sticks,
Has anybody gone through us? And how did you win the battle .

Rodi- has all new filters has of This week.
Did 50% WC on Thursday.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    975.2 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    887.5 KB · Views: 71

mellotang

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I’ve never seen silicates kill coral
I’ve seen it fuel brown diatoms
But never kill coral

I know you said new filters but what about membrane? That’s what pulls out the majority of silicates

If your RO water is good just keep doing water changes. Have you tested the RO water for silicate?

Tank looks kinda new, how mature is it?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I’ve never seen silicates kill coral
I’ve seen it fuel brown diatoms
But never kill coral

I know you said new filters but what about membrane? That’s what pulls out the majority of silicates

If your RO water is good just keep doing water changes. Have you tested the RO water for silicate?

Tank looks kinda new, how mature is it?
Yea new MB , and I did the icp & Triton

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
i had high silcon in my Ro water too. What i did was added an anion section to the RODI unit and it clears the silcon for me. If you want spectrapure sells a Silicabuster cartridge. I didnt have the high silcon kill any corals on me. you could have other issues like dinos or cyano. What are your water parameters?

BloopFish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Somehow I doubt silicates is whats killing your corals. There are actually some people who intentionally dose silicates into their reef tanks to fuel diatom and sponge growth. I personally do this as well, but I mostly keep mushrooms and zoas.
Also diatoms are harmless. Diatoms will not harm your corals at all, they don't release toxins like dinos and cyano, they may? smother them (highly doubtful). In addition, silicate levels are used up very quickly in the reef aquaria, it's an overstated issue that is mostly the problem of immature or nutrient imbalanced reef tanks.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i had high silcon in my Ro water too. What i did was added an anion section to the RODI unit and it clears the silcon for me. If you want spectrapure sells a Silicabuster cartridge. I didnt have the high silcon kill any corals on me. you could have other issues like dinos or cyano. What are your water parameters?
Somehow I doubt silicates is whats killing your corals. There are actually some people who intentionally dose silicates into their reef tanks to fuel diatom and sponge growth. I personally do this as well, but I mostly keep mushrooms and zoas.
Also diatoms are harmless. Diatoms will not harm your corals at all, they don't release toxins like dinos and cyano, they may? smother them (highly doubtful). In addition, silicate levels are used up very quickly in the reef aquaria, it's an overstated issue that is mostly the problem of immature or nutrient imbalanced reef tanks.
I agreed with you, I might have diagnosed it wrong I do believe it might be Dino or cyano, I had some of this on the birds nest and half of it is gone , so lights have been out for a day so far. Leaving it in darkness for 3 days.

Attachments

• 4262385F-E515-42F2-97FF-DEBD082549FD.jpeg
    4262385F-E515-42F2-97FF-DEBD082549FD.jpeg
    511.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: