Peter C

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Have established tank with good water parameters (PO4 .02, NO3 0, ALk 9.8, Cal 420). Also cycling a new 90 gallon tank.

Question - Any benefits/harms to using the water removed from established tank (from water change) and putting it into cycling tank?

Big thanks to MR and its members. 6 months into this hobby and have learned a tremendous amount reading these Q&A forums.

Last edited:

brooklynfc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
It wont hurt anything, but you would be better served putting one of the rocks from the established tank into the one that's cycling. The benifucial bacteria lives on the surface of the rocks in your aquarium. Very little beneficial bacteria in the water column.

Peter C

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
There are some pests in my established tank (dozens of tiny starfish) that I’m looking to avoid in the new tank - and that’s why I’m not putting any of my live rock in the new tank.

Is it possible to dip the live rock (like the corals) and get rid of pests before using that live rock in the new tank?

Adamantium

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water has almost none of the beneficial bacteria in it. You want media, or rocks.

I’m not really sure about dipping live rock, unfortunately. It may kill the bacteria. Sorry. Can’t hurt to try, though. Worst case you just have more rock in the new tank.

JJSBLM

Crazy Pico guy
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Adamantium has the right idea. Use new freshly made sw for the new tank. Grab a few pounds (like 5) of established live rock from the other system. You don't need much. The rest can be base or dry rock. It will all turn live in time.

I will disagree with testing everyday. No good reason to, unless your soft cycling bc of some other condition. Which you haven't described in your original post. It's a waste of money. This hobby is about time and patience. Nothing good comes fast. Your tank will cycle in 26-28 days. 2 large water changes after that & your ready for inhabitants SLOWLY

coralcruze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.4%
228   11   0
Hey Peter... hope all is well my friend aterena stars are very common. you can pick them out by hand to keep population down. Or just get a harlequin shrimp and it will clean up for you.

Diping all in coming frags is good practice as well as that will get rid of alot of diff. type of pests.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: