stevegreek

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had this from a small frag for about 2.5 years. Always opened big and beautiful. Havent changed anything except cleaned out the sump during a 15 gallon water change. Tank is 180 gallons. All other gonis are opening fine. What do you think is happening? Is this something gonis just do every now and then or is it dying? What can I do?

e627511cea4f19baef19f071f35e7469.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

editour2

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Sometimes when you "clean out the sump" you stir up all the detrius and/or get a nitrate spike or upset the bio filtration....that could temporarily upset that specfic goni. How long has it been?

CMD_2020

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 93.8%
14   1   1
Yeah ime, gonis can be very sensitive to changes in nutrients, whether less or more. I notice they take a long time to open back up in my fragtank, as opposed to my dt. Fragtank has less nitrates and phosphates (perhaps too clean)

stevegreek

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes when you "clean out the sump" you stir up all the detrius and/or get a nitrate spike or upset the bio filtration....that could temporarily upset that specfic goni. How long has it been?

Its been about 2 days now. Im surprised that this goni is affected when it seems nothing ever affects it. My other gonis are usually finicky and they are fine. All sps good too

TheReefKing

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I think happened is you cleaned out your sump in a 180 gallon and only did a tiny little 15 % water change, you probably shocked the system with a lot of unwanted crap entering back into the display from the sump, do another water change 20%

stevegreek

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you keep phosguard or marine pure in sump? If so you might have kicked up some aluminum silicate dust or aluminum oxide residue, both which corals hate if they ingest, which most likely happened since goniopora eat fine particulates, this is the first thing i would check

No, ive seen what those can do from a friends tank. I will never add marine pure after that

stevegreek

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i did virtually nothing because ive had no time (and am a pretty lazy reefer). Goni was on a decline for about 3 more days and then just opened up one day.
304bea8a58e85c9466e62a53b8a8a788.jpg

I think i may just call this an unsolved mystery and be happy i didnt lose the goni. Its one of my favorite corals in the tank. (And oldest)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: