stevegreek

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a fish known to eat palys? Maybe a file fish or copperband. Anything that will get the palys off the rock. Im keeping a tank full of rock running just to use the live rock on a future build but dont want to transfer the palys over and theres a lot of them. I can buy, trade, rent, or borrow the fish lol. Let me know please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nanoreefer415

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its hit or miss with fish being specific corallivores But theres evidence of foxface rabbitfish eating polyps. Youll most likely need to get a bigger one.

you can also try a majano wand, and melt the polyp from the inside out, however i would run lots of carbon while you do this.

another alternative would be (considering there are multiple rocks and some which have no palys on them) taking the palythoa infested Rocks and doing a 1:10 bleach:water solution soak the rocks in solution for a few days, then wash rock in freshwater, dry the rock out completely, then you can run in more rodi water for a few more days with dechlorinator. The bleach should kill the palys and neutralize the palytoxin, then the dechlorinator should help get rid of the excess bleach. You can then add rocks back to tank to be reseeded by remaining liverocks

stevegreek

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rich and Ben mention a snail in their latest episode of Reef Beef: Heliacus snails

That is definitely a good thought. Now im even thinking maybe zoa eating nudis could work too? I wonder which ones would be easiest to get rid of/die off once the palys are gone. I dont want them still present once the new tank is up and ready to be stocked with the rock

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
any butterfly or foxface you add is not going to eat enough of your anemones to put a significant dent in their population if there are too many of them. If you are just keeping the rock alive, simply put them in the dark for a few weeks, the palys will die out.

stevegreek

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any butterfly or foxface you add is not going to eat enough of your anemones to put a significant dent in their population if there are too many of them. If you are just keeping the rock alive, simply put them in the dark for a few weeks, the palys will die out.

I tried a 4 month blackout in the sump...fuckers came right back once i put them back in the light

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: