brick-brothers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
338   0   0
I have the huge Bio-Pellet Reactor that I'm not using. My question is can I turn this into a cheato Reactor if I was to throw some grow lights on the side of it?
75fba3355a294f79c908a37070d943ac.jpg

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Yes, you can. It would need a screen to prevent the chaeto,from clogging the outflow. As for lighting, people have been wrapping it with LED ribbon, though I think that's too much work when it comes to cleaning. Plus you would have to take it appart at least twice a week to scrape algae off the walls, since it will be blocking light from the center. Also quite a bit of work. As for lighting, you could make a triangle around it using 3 short 18W fixture. You might need 4.
For my scrubber, I tried the 20 W red/purple grow light panels, they are 1 square foot. That was only bright enough to grow the dark hair algae. I then went with an adjustable 45 to 100W full spectrum light panel and used it for a while at 70W with good performance. However once I dialed it up to 100 watts, it really produces lot of algae. At that output though, I had to add on heat sinks and a fan. My light panel is 2 inches away from the growth area.

For optimal performance, the walls would need to be clear, otherwise, you would grow and harvest algae directly from the curved acrylic. You would need a scraper that can fit sideways. Also quite a bit of work. See if you can find a scrapper hat fits before going any further.

brick-brothers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
338   0   0
Yes, you can. It would need a screen to prevent the chaeto,from clogging the outflow. As for lighting, people have been wrapping it with LED ribbon, though I think that's too much work when it comes to cleaning. Plus you would have to take it appart at least twice a week to scrape algae off the walls, since it will be blocking light from the center. Also quite a bit of work. As for lighting, you could make a triangle around it using 3 short 18W fixture. You might need 4.
For my scrubber, I tried the 20 W red/purple grow light panels, they are 1 square foot. That was only bright enough to grow the dark hair algae. I then went with an adjustable 45 to 100W full spectrum light panel and used it for a while at 70W with good performance. However once I dialed it up to 100 watts, it really produces lot of algae. At that output though, I had to add on heat sinks and a fan. My light panel is 2 inches away from the growth area.

For optimal performance, the walls would need to be clear, otherwise, you would grow and harvest algae directly from the curved acrylic. You would need a scraper that can fit sideways. Also quite a bit of work. See if you can find a scrapper hat fits before going any further.
Thanks for the info

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using Tapatalk

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: