Vanilla

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I’ll be moving to Manhattan sometime this summer/fall and want to start up a new tank. Been out of the hobby for a bit, but think this is the right time.

Obviously I will be living in an apartment, assuming they allow tanks is there anything I should consider before going all in?

Looking at the IM 50g Lagoon, assuming I have room, I’ve always had smaller tanks which was definitely the tougher route to starting this hobby. Just want a bigger tank that’s a little easier to care for.

Any advice would be appreciated!

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Find a place that you can install an RO/DI unit and some type of storage vessel for top off water.
Be very patient with the cycle and leave lights off the entire time.
(I've had good experience with Brightwell Aquatics XLM along with their ammonia cycle starter and then their weekly MicroBacter Clean additive after the cycle, no ugly stage has appeared)
Depending if your choosing INT/EXT - research sumps with refugium options.
If AIO - research skimmers that will fit within chamber.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Also consider establishing a simple 10g quarantine tank if possible.
Over the years I've had a frustrating and exhausting time getting rid of aiptasia, bryopsis, valonia which all came in on coral added. Even adding snails and cleanup crew can bring in stuff that you just shake your head at.

Czynot

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Make sure the floor can support the tank and water proof the floor. Most old Manhattan building are not level and floor are weak. Any water spill will go directly to floor below. This wont be an issue if building is new.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: