bigyankfan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
226   0   0
I am trying to do a Bean Animal Overflow on my 225 but it is incredibly loud. I did the type in the picture below but I never got the water level to be higher than the top of the primary drain and did not draw in enough water. I then replaced the strainer on the primary with two street elbows making a downward U that was completely submerged as I saw in a YouTube video. It drew in a lot more water but it was still very noisy. I followed the instructions to the letter (except for adding the gate valve) but can't get it to be quiet. Any suggestions would be appreciated - thx.
Types+of+Overflow+Drains-03.jpg

Jaydontlag_

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.9%
13   1   0
I can see into the return line as I'm using clear tubing and it is not completely filled with water so I'm not sure what a gate valve would do.
So by blocking some water going down your main drain it causes the water to rise in your overflow chamber. This will eventually cause water to start going down you secondary drain. And that is where the magic happens and makes it dead silent. That's why you need the gate valve to fine tune exactly where you need the water level to be. Don't worry about water ever going down the emergency drain it's literally there just in case your other 2 drains clog up. I'm sure you knew that lol

P.s. just checked out your dream build thread, your setup is looking awesome

bigyankfan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
226   0   0
So by blocking some water going down your main drain it causes the water to rise in your overflow chamber. This will eventually cause water to start going down you secondary drain. And that is where the magic happens and makes it dead silent. That's why you need the gate valve to fine tune exactly where you need the water level to be. Don't worry about water ever going down the emergency drain it's literally there just in case your other 2 drains clog up. I'm sure you knew that lol

P.s. just checked out your dream build thread, your setup is looking awesome
Thx for the info, Jay and Edd - I just ordered a gate valve from Amazon and I will try that and thx for the kind words on my build thread - this is the only thing holding up the transfer of fish from my 50 to the 225.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: