piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
RAP was a strong sign where this hobby is at least in NY. LFS are far and few these days. Who's left are probably holding on to dear life. The cost of shipping and lack of getting quality healthy fish is probably main reason. Delays on shipments is another. Even though our great hobby was popular during Pandemic. We can only hope in time we will we see a comeback .Most likely not since online and high rent. The New door is Aquaculture fish and Coral. Last few years where I live only seen LFS close and even Petco and Petsmart. So the ones thats been in hobby know what I'm talking about.They will remember $40 Yellow tang. Remembering getting a rare fish we once got from our LFS at reasonable price are gone. Been in this hobby for over 45 years starting with freshwater. Times have changed. Only have memories of going to fish store to fish store every week. What's your feeling on our hobby?

Last edited:

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
There was an influx of newcomers with the pandemic to all hobbies related to that one (Josh's frogs in the vivarium world tripled in size). Maybe it could be that since most people stay in this hobby for 18 months... this period is over after a substantial increase in 2020?

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
A strike won't do anything. Most of the cost issues are related to changes in laws and increases in shipping rates. The stores and online vendors selling frags for a few hundred bucks is a separate issue. I can understand that they have to find a way to make money, but the grossly inflated prices for small frags should not be it...

What we need are more actual frag swaps and a shift back to the mentality of "paying it forward".

I have met so many great people via this site and I do my best to help new people get a start and have a really good experience.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
A strike won't do anything. Most of the cost issues are related to changes in laws and increases in shipping rates. The stores and online vendors selling frags for a few hundred bucks is a separate issue. I can understand that they have to find a way to make money, but the grossly inflated prices for small frags should not be it...

What we need are more actual frag swaps and a shift back to the mentality of "paying it forward".

I have met so many great people via this site and I do my best to help new people get a start and have a really good experience.
I’m down with frags swaps.
I have a lot of thing I don’t want anymore and no one wants to buy.

Fishtankfrank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I say we strike. If we don’t buy fish or coral they will feel the pain. I’m with you on this one the hoppy has gone to ****. Before the band of yellow tang pet warehouse had then 3 for 120. But hey I could hold off buying for a while.
I think we just need to get coral from each other and maybe other close by reef communities. Because 1. The hobby is unsustainable right now at its pace of popularity and 2. We’ll all be priced out on this side of the world soon

Pagodazoa

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
I think we just need to get coral from each other and maybe other close by reef communities. Because 1. The hobby is unsustainable right now at its pace of popularity and 2. We’ll all be priced out on this side of the world soon
This marketplace is amazing for livestock/corals. Not as great as it once was but compared to other sites or venders it’s still way lower. Then you’ve got the people here that want everything for free or selling used equipment at basically brand new prices

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: