slyseekr

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So, recently came back from a 2 week vacation to find that my house/dogsitter nearly nuked my tank over a small but fundamental error correcting my ATO. I had briefed her on instructions regarding the tank, but obviously not thoroughly enough. Ultimately, I lost well over $3000 in fish livestock (a massive gut punch as all my rare, difficult to care-for, and, irreplaceable fish are gone). Miraculously my corals and anemones (incl. giganteas and magnificas) made it through!

I’ve had the tank since 2015 and travel a bunch and this was essentially the first time this has happened (believe it or not). But, given I travel a ton for work and personal reasons, I won’t be trusting my tank care to someone so inexperienced again. The last few days since my return, I’ve been struggling a great deal with even staying in the hobby and rebuilding the fish community, but starting to feel like it’s possible.

That said, in anticipation of future travel periods, I would really appreciate if anyone knows of any great tank maintenance services in the Brooklyn/Manhattan area? Anyone who is ok caring for the tank without a set schedule (e.g. weekly/monthly) and would be available largely for the periods when I’m out of town?

Thanks much!

Timfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear your loss! :( As I'm in central Texas I can't recommend anybody but would advise a company that's been around awhile (10+ years). Sincve there's so much variability in systems I alwasy advise listing specifics to do AND specifics NOT to do.

Jzdad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Sorry! “The Murphy law of reefing “ Were you good friends with any reefers? Thanks to the hobby, I met a few good buddies and when one of us would go on vacation I would keep an eye on things for them and vise versa. man you have no idea that ,when someone (not a reefer )watching your tank for you and all they have to do is fill the ATO container and they don’t or put it in the wrong place and you come home to a disaster, how much it hurts, but sometimes it a chance to do it over again but better than before ( after you get past the initial shock of all the time and money put in to get it where you were ) lots of luck with whatever you decide !!!

slyseekr

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry! “The Murphy law of reefing “ Were you good friends with any reefers? Thanks to the hobby, I met a few good buddies and when one of us would go on vacation I would keep an eye on things for them and vise versa. man you have no idea that ,when someone (not a reefer )watching your tank for you and all they have to do is fill the ATO container and they don’t or put it in the wrong place and you come home to a disaster, how much it hurts, but sometimes it a chance to do it over again but better than before ( after you get past the initial shock of all the time and money put in to get it where you were ) lots of luck with whatever you decide !!!

Definitely a lesson learned, and thanks for the well wishes. The tank is restabilized, looking good again (survivors looking happier, too) and I am restocking — added a small foxface and flame hawk earlier this week, have an order in with a few new fish for next week.

Haven’t had much time to really meet folks in the community, except for going to Reefapalooza the last couple years. Where do folks meet each other?

Jzdad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Definitely a lesson learned, and thanks for the well wishes. The tank is restabilized, looking good again (survivors looking happier, too) and I am restocking — added a small foxface and flame hawk earlier this week, have an order in with a few new fish for next week.

Haven’t had much time to really meet folks in the community, except for going to Reefapalooza the last couple years. Where do folks meet each other?
Glad things are getting better, sometimes the rebound is worth it

We’ll as far as reefers and buddies
At meetings if you join a club or when you buy something from some one and you check in on them or at reef shops, but mostly from the forum and going to see the members tank especially if they are local .

my buddies dropped out because of the high prices due to pandemic an excuse to get out , so I have nobody now just an apex with a wi fi camera

But after watching fish swim with no worries and corals growing from frags , the awesome colors the piece of the ocean in a glass box in your house you just can’t be that

brooklenny

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Does anyone have the contact info for David? thank you

slyseekr

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
David @ Reef Trends.

Where are you located? If the tank absolutely must look good all the time then I would consider getting Joe's team from Manhattan Aquariums involved.

I’m in Prospect Heights. Generally vacation needs while I’m out are ensuring the ATO reservoir and auto feeders are full + water change.

brooklenny

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Prospect Heights. Generally vacation needs while I’m out are ensuring the ATO reservoir and auto feeders are full + water change.
I have Chris from Creative Aquarium Nation help me out. He is very trustworthy. He used to have a store on Coney Island Ave.

brooklenny

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 8BD54B0A-498F-4278-8B7F-04D89D1DFD06.jpeg
    8BD54B0A-498F-4278-8B7F-04D89D1DFD06.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 360C733A-E2C9-4326-B91E-2590C69F7E0D.jpeg
    360C733A-E2C9-4326-B91E-2590C69F7E0D.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 0

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: