Hey MR,

I re-set up my tank after 1.5yrs and decided to use my old pukani rocks.

All new fish that went into the DT was quarantined for 4 weeks with copper power. I didn’t see them display the dreaded ich itch at any time in the quarantine tank. Now I noticed the hippo have the ich itch in the DT.

Could my old rock carry the ich even after being out of water for 1+yr?

I’m demoralized to say the lease ?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Are you sure that it's ich? Hippo tang are know to get spot, which maybe ich or could be something else. Do anyone of the other fish having any signing of ich?

As for the old rock possibly having ich, even after 1+ years out of water, it's possible that some sores may have been on the rock, could it then comeback alive? I'm not sure, but I know algae with start to regrow, and most parasites are pretty tough, so it maybe a possibility.

Timbo

Got Reef?
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Tangs can get white spots from stress and also banged up from wedging in between the rocks. Are your sure it’s ich?

Are you sure that it's ich? Hippo tang are know to get spot, which maybe ich or could be something else. Do anyone of the other fish having any signing of ich?

As for the old rock possibly having ich, even after 1+ years out of water, it's possible that some sores may have been on the rock, could it then comeback alive? I'm not sure, but I know algae with start to regrow, and most parasites are pretty tough, so it maybe a possibility.
I don’t see any spots on the hippo or any of the other fish. However the hippo is scratching himself on the rock a few times now

Pagodazoa

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
How long was the display set up, fish also scratch from high nitrates. They can also have flukes if you didn’t run prazi. I don’t think it’s ich if you’re not seeing any true signs besides flashing. Also there’s no way ich will survive dry for a year they need a host and their life cycle isn’t that long

How long was the display set up, fish also scratch from high nitrates. They can also have flukes if you didn’t run prazi. I don’t think it’s ich if you’re not seeing any true signs besides flashing. Also there’s no way ich will survive dry for a year they need a host and their life cycle isn’t that long

The new tank has been up since the start of 2023 and have a very minimal stock in there. So nitrates should not be an issue.

As for fluke, I did run General cure for 2 weeks which should treat for skin and gill fluke.

so not sure why that flashing might have been

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new tank has been up since the start of 2023 and have a very minimal stock in there. So nitrates should not be an issue.

As for fluke, I did run General cure for 2 weeks which should treat for skin and gill fluke.

so not sure why that flashing might have been
Never heard of fish scratching from nitrates but flashing, scratching/darting often suggests flukes. Some symptoms of flukes will be rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color .
If you see this, instead of general cure, best treatment is PraziPro. Often a 5 minute freshwater dip the same temp as display tank will dislodge them and offer temporary relief.
You can do prazi as a precaution assuming its flukes. To be safe , dose at 85% of recommended and allow it to do its thing for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: