• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

blowen123

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, just getting back into the hobby and see that Manhattan aquariums is closed down. Are there any other saltwater fish stores in NYC? Looking to grab some fish and coral for a new system.

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
In Manhattan only Pacific Aquariums is left open when it comes to mom and pop stores with saltwater. After that some Petco locations have saltwater, like the new flagship store by Union Square.

But in terms of corals, you are better off hitting the other boroughs.

JustTechWriter

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly what @Geraud stated. The Petcos in the city have saltwater fish that aren't that bad. I would not trust petco corals lol. In Brooklyn you have picks between Pop Corals, Mos Reef and Exotic Reef. All have salty fish and coral.

shinylights

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in terms of corals your better off getting from hobbyists then Petco, just due to pricing and overall health of the coral.

June

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as I want to shop local (and I do when I get out of the city), the prices online are at least 2x cheaper and usually more selection/better quality.

nimbus

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Online is hit or miss, mostly a miss. Who wants to pay $50-100 for a 1in frag. Local hobbyists are the real plug. If you’re down to trek Queens, NY Reef Aquatic is pretty great

June

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotten stuff from a small vendor called Goat corals (randomly appeared on an ad), and they've always sent nice big frags. In particular, their Zoas are really solid. When I was looking for torches, I've also ordered from Riptide Aquaculture with their July 4th sale and it was nice as well. I'm sure most other vendors are pretty solid, even if the colors they show are not always that accurate.

I will agree you can find nice deals on this forum too.

Xanthurumz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, just getting back into the hobby and see that Manhattan aquariums is closed down. Are there any other saltwater fish stores in NYC? Looking to grab some fish and coral for a new system.
I used to work for M.A they moved to long Island city, that's their warehouse now address is

43-50 11th St, Long Island City, NY 11101

Just give em call to double check walk in hours.

All solid advice here.

ChadSmith

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the information.
Hobbyists are best bet for corals, Petco Union square has ok fish but are super overpriced. If you can make it out to NY Aquatic in Yonkers for fish can't beat their prices. Unfortunately Manhattan is tough, I would really only buy frozen food (much cheaper than petco) from Pacific Aquarium and Plant. Corals there always have pests and the fish always have some sickness. Manhattan Aquariums actually just moved to LIC but unless things have changed the corals and fish were insanely priced, often had ich, and were covered in aptasia. Great spot for freshwater though. Tropical Island in Deerpark is the best localish spot for corals and Country Critters is also worth a trip for fish. Aquareef Aquatic also good for fish and some corals if you happen to be by Eastchester.

I am sorry, I don't have enough information regarding this and that is why I can't help you with this. But yes, if you're ever feeling overwhelmed with schoolwork, I found a site that might help you out. https://canadianwritings.com/ offers professional writing services, including essays and research papers, tailored to your needs. They ensure everything is done to a high standard and delivered on time, making it a reliable option for students.
Thanks for the info, I will keep it in mind.

Last edited:

adsf430

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hobbyists are best bet for corals, Petco Union square has ok fish but are super overpriced. If you can make it out to NY Aquatic in Yonkers for fish can't beat their prices. Unfortunately Manhattan is tough, I would really only buy frozen food (much cheaper than petco) from Pacific Aquarium and Plant. Corals there always have pests and the fish always have some sickness. Manhattan Aquariums actually just moved to LIC but unless things have changed the corals and fish were insanely priced, often had ich, and were covered in aptasia. Great spot for freshwater though. Tropical Island in Deerpark is the best localish spot for corals and Country Critters is also worth a trip for fish. Aquareef Aquatic also good for fish and some corals if you happen to be by Eastchester.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: