• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

shinylights

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 125g and a 20g, whereas the 125g with water changes and salt (IO purple bag). I only dose DIY magnesium, alkalinity, and BRS calcium. With food costs and all, cost runs between 40-50 dollars a month.

I also have a 20g, which is mainly a anemone tank, which allows me to get away with less water changes. I do not dose anything besides the same above occassionally as I do have acans and fungia plates in there aswell.

I will be changing careers soon, and so now on the prospect of upgrading, I want to know the costs of running tanks of any different sizes, with a goal size of 300g, any other insight on anything helpful, such as producing more volume of RODI water in shorter spans, is also appreciated.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
The cost of a tank really depends on the type and energy of the reef. Pretty much impossible to say the cost is X on this size system. I notice that you’re not using kalk, you should consider it, especially on a larger system. With a 24/7 doser like a versa and a kalk stirrer it’s a relatively small initial investment and dirt cheap going forward.

shinylights

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do sometimes dose kalk through an ATO, but I move on and off because I go through ATO water pretty fast. I was wondering if I should get a kalk stirrer but I hear that ATO works well enough

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I do sometimes dose kalk through an ATO, but I move on and off because I go through ATO water pretty fast. I was wondering if I should get a kalk stirrer but I hear that ATO works well enough

Dosing kalk with an ato will never give you stability. The amount of evaporation can vary greatly depending on humidity + temp levels. A stirrer or a reservoir fill with saturated kalk, either dosed precisely with a continuous doser would give you dependable dosing. In a large system with hard coral it’s a big money saver.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: