Rating - 100%
3   0   0
For the last 2-3 weeks, my crocea, which had been thriving, began to seem stressed. The mantle would tuck in at certain points, as if irritated. I blamed it on the mushrooms nearby, and removed and/or killed all the 'shrooms that were touching it...to no avail. It still seemed stressed, with strands of mucus coming off. Eventually, it let go of its byssus and fell on its side. When I propped it back up, I saw that there was a large vermetid (is that what it's called?) tube snail attached to its shell. The strands of mucus turned out to be the snail's, not the clams. Could this snail be what is disturbing the clam? It has improved in the last 2 days, although its not happy and fully expanded as its been for the last year or so. If it is the snail bothering it...how best to kill it? I guess I could shoot it up with a little vinegar...I could stick the needle right into the open end of the tube. Thanks, Eric

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Its on the side of the shell...and its pretty large. The tube is over an inch long, and its at least half a centimeter in diameter. The mucus strands are all over the mantle of the clam. Its pretty well cemented on to the clam...not sure how I could scrape it off without damaging or at least stressing the clam.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
You can try snapping off the snails tube and if you're lucky he might be inside of it. Or you can use IC gel and glue him in. (my choice)
I don't know that shooting vinegar so close to a clam is a good idea...

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wouldn't it kill the clam to take it out of the water? Besides...its hopefully spun a new byssus. The glue idea isn't bad...as for vinegar, I'd be using just a tiny fraction of a cc in an insulin/tuberculin syringe. I used vinegar to kill the 'shrooms I couldn't remove...didn't bother the clam at all.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So.....here's what I did. I picked up the clam, which hasn't made a new byssus yet. I tried to pry off the snail with a razor blade, but it was impossible...it turned out to be coiled, relatively short, and heavily encrusted with coralline...and the opening of the snail was exactly at the edge of the clams shell...no wonder it was irritated. I chipped away at the open edge of the snail's shell, then ramrodded a needle into the opening repeatedly...nothing injected, just the needle. I can't imagine the snail surviving that treatment...oh, all of this was done without ever taking the clam out of the water. I'll post back when I see if the treatment worked. take care, and have a great holiday! Eric

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
:eek:

halloweenbox2_pp_copy.jpg

cult4chucky_pp_copy.jpg

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm afraid to glue it...the opening is exactly at the edge of the clam's shell, which is why (I assume....maybe something else is bothering the clam) the clam seems so annoyed. It seems that many, if not most, clams over 2" that I've seen have at least one vermetid snail shell attached, but I've never seen one open so close to the clam's mantle. At any rate, since the shot the clam seems happier than its been lately. Not as fully expanded as it used to be, but lots better than lately. Thanks again, Eric

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Regardless that the clam "seems happier", you should address the snail issue if you feel that's the source of irritation to the clam. The snail may just be recovering from your brutal, yet non-fatal attack and is not yet producing the irritating slime causing your clam to be unhappy.

1. Get the clam to close completely (a few soft taps on its shell)
  2. Remove clam from tank (since it hasn't attached itself)
  3. Place a few drops of crazy glue gel into the hole
  4. Wait 10-15 seconds to allow gel to set
  5. Replace clam in tank
  6. :skull:

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
So.....here's what I did. I picked up the clam, which hasn't made a new byssus yet. I tried to pry off the snail with a razor blade, but it was impossible...it turned out to be coiled, relatively short, and heavily encrusted with coralline...and the opening of the snail was exactly at the edge of the clams shell...no wonder it was irritated. I chipped away at the open edge of the snail's shell, then ramrodded a needle into the opening repeatedly...nothing injected, just the needle. I can't imagine the snail surviving that treatment...oh, all of this was done without ever taking the clam out of the water. I'll post back when I see if the treatment worked. take care, and have a great holiday! Eric

That is not a Pyramidellid snail. You should be able to remove Pyramidellid snails by brushing with a soft tooth brush.

You can see a picture of the snails here

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: