h20 freak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my skimmer isn't cutting it and understandably so.

I have the cpr sr3. Why such a small skimmer? Well a sump that barely fits it thats why. I have very little height or room in general. My tank is up against a wall so I can't run anything external unless its just as small as this skimmer to put in my stand.

Should I add another small skimmer like an asm mini?

Should I go HOB? are any HOB's worth it? My lfs has an HOB by bermuda that their advertising the heck out of.I'm a little hesitant to go HOB but if the skimmer is good enough I'll do it.

Is there a good small skimmer out there? I'm planning on stocking pretty heavily. $400, maybe $500 is what I'm willing to pay(birthday coming up, gotta see how that go's:tongue1:)

Also I see no reason to put my current skimmer offline if I have the room, should I do it anyway or run both?

hijinks

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have a aquac ev180 on my 46g and it kicks ass.. I love it. I run it externally out of the sump and it works great.

I did notice it that skimmer is rated up to 60g and I've always went by the math that you want to 2x skim rating for your tank. Mine is overkill but it never underskims.

for HOB.. you see a lot of people like the AquaC Remora and a lot for sale since people upgrade in this hobby pretty quickly

If you have room in back look at the aquac ev120 if you can find a used one.. should only be selling for 150-200.. i saw one for sale today on RC.

h20 freak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damn its to tall, I have ~19" total height so the skimmer would have to be really short to be able to take out the cup. I need to tilt mine to get out the cup =/. Yea I see the remoras a lot, hope someone can chime in on their performance.Thanks for the quick reply.

aaah, another great deal thats to tall :irked:

Last edited:

henrye718

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had the same problem with a small fuge so I got a Reef Octopus BH 100SS paid $120 for it. Really the best bang for the buck hob skimmer out there, plug and play, just sit it there and let it work no frustraiting adjustments or anything like that.

Here it is mounted.. It picks up some nasty stuff this is two days worth. Pay no attension to seran wrap and the rubber band. I added a
90 degree bulk head to drip my top off water directly into the skimmer.

I really should make a proper cap for it.

Picture132.jpg

Picture122.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: