• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

anen

Rookie Extraordinare
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
So my build moves ahead. I probably should start a tank thread and upload some pics. I have purchased most of my gear, and will be setting up a 65g DT and 29g sump. I have a glass-holes 1500gph overflow kit and have drilled my 2 1.5" drains and .75" returns. I bought most of my stuff in bundles used and ended up getting a Rio 1700 and Rio 2500. If either or both of these aren't proper for my setup I am willing to swap at your suggestion. I am currently designing the sump, but will most likely be a 3 chambered setup in this order: skimmer-return-fuge

My issue now is I don't know how to plumb the damn thing! From my research so far So here's my list of questions

1) Glassholes elbows for the drains already have a small hole with a small tube. Do I need to drill additional holes anywhere for anti-siphon?

2) Since I have not yet put baffles in the sump, how best should I feed water to the fuge? Should I tee off the return pump?

3) I have an aquac ev120 skimmer. I also intend on getting a phosphate reactor to run carbon. Is it possible to run the skimmer, reactor, and return all off one pump? Would anyone recommend this?

4) Flex-pipe? Regular? Schedule 80? Which one do you suggest?

5) If someone doesn't mind, can you please help me put together a parts list of what I will need to do the plumbing in the most optimal fashion? A diagram would be helpful if it's not too much trouble.

6) I need to have my baffles made. Can someone suggest a place to get them? Will a regular plastic shop be able to make me a baffle with teeth for the fuge chamber?

7) If anyone had an opinion on my sump setup that would be cool too.

Thank you MR!

Galantra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Anen, I am always around if you need a helping hand so don't worry. so in regards to your questions:

1) You do not need to add any extra holes, all you need to do is drill it and attach it and you are ready to go. Are you drilling the tank yourself?

2) Unsure how you plan on setting the fuge area will it be an addition tank other than your sump or built within it?

3) You actually can and I really wouldn’t see a problem on doing this. The thing you need to know is how much GPH your skimmer & reactor will need. Get a pump that is about the same amount of both combine and add gate valves to get the right amount of pressure to each item with an extra line for excess pressure if the pump is way over the amount needed. Now it does seem tricky but can be done. I plan on running something similar but using return flow from drain pipes instead of a pump.

4) Really up to you what you want to do. I personally have used them all but for my build will only flex PVC since mine will be running in a wall and floors. I believe Sch 80 is supposed to handle pressure better.

5) show me some pictures of measurement of items you are using and I can help create a diagram I will look online for photos for you as well

6) unsure of where you could get them made maybe put up a thread In the Want to buy section? Any baffle I used where bought from home depot either glass or plexi sheets.

anen

Rookie Extraordinare
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
1) You do not need to add any extra holes, all you need to do is drill it and attach it and you are ready to go. Are you drilling the tank yourself?

I have already drilled the tank. 1.5" drains and .75" returns

2) Unsure how you plan on setting the fuge area will it be an addition tank other than your sump or built within it?

3 chamber sump/fuge in a 29g. something like this:
http://www.3reef.com/forums/attachm...2221-my-29g-sump-refugium-plans-29_g_sump.gif

3) You actually can and I really wouldn?t see a problem on doing this. The thing you need to know is how much GPH your skimmer & reactor will need. Get a pump that is about the same amount of both combine and add gate valves to get the right amount of pressure to each item with an extra line for excess pressure if the pump is way over the amount needed. Now it does seem tricky but can be done. I plan on running something similar but using return flow from drain pipes instead of a pump.

So can I just buy one mega big pump to run everything?

4) Really up to you what you want to do. I personally have used them all but for my build will only flex PVC since mine will be running in a wall and floors. I believe Sch 80 is supposed to handle pressure better.

5) show me some pictures of measurement of items you are using and I can help create a diagram I will look online for photos for you as well

65g tank, 29g sump
http://www.glass-holes.com/product.sc?productId=7&categoryId=3
http://www.glass-holes.com/product.sc?productId=131&categoryId=27

6) unsure of where you could get them made maybe put up a thread In the Want to buy section? Any baffle I used where bought from home depot either glass or plexi sheets.

Did you have home depot cut the baffles for you or did ou cut them yourself?

Galantra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
The glass hole kit you bought came with the overflow box? I assumed you tank wasn't reef ready. To be able to accomidate the overflow you would have to drill it to the tank. Since your tank is a 65g trying to accomidate the 1,500 to the bottom won't work since you bottom might be tempered glass. So that move is up to you, with the sump I measured what I needed and luckly home depot had pre cut glass sheets to the size I needed. With the pexi glass I cut it myself which isn't hard to do. With the pump I wouldn't get a pump that is too oversize might not work out all that great since to much preassure not going anywhere will just wear out and overheat the motor lessening the life of the pump.

anen

Rookie Extraordinare
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Tank is already drilled. I'm in the middle of building a new stand because there isn't enough room in the one I have for 29g sump plumbing and electrical. Then I will work on my sump and plumbing.

Yen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Between the fuge and the return pump section, you don't need to have 3 baffles, you lose space. The water flow from the fuge to the return section need to be gentle, so there won't be bubbles. Just one divider with teeth is good enough.

Increase the protein skimmer section to at least 10" wide. It even tough to find a skimmer that fit 10" wide already.

Yen

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
3) You actually can and I really wouldn’t see a problem on doing this. The thing you need to know is how much GPH your skimmer & reactor will need. Get a pump that is about the same amount of both combine and add gate valves to get the right amount of pressure to each item with an extra line for excess pressure if the pump is way over the amount needed. Now it does seem tricky but can be done. I plan on running something similar but using return flow from drain pipes instead of a pump.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are planning on running an ev120. I would Not reccomend running it off one pump that goes to various equipment.
This skimmer relies greatly on water pressure and is kinda tough to dial in as is,,, let alone if you start off with the wrong pressure to begin with.
If this skimmer call for a mag5 Use a 7. If it calls for a mag7 use a nine.
I will be honest with you. I used this skimmer(well a 180 the same but a little bigger) for a year+ and maybe got 1 full cup of skimmate in that time. I was not happy with the product at all.
JMPE

anen

Rookie Extraordinare
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Hmm, maybe I should throw it up on ebay

3) You actually can and I really wouldn?t see a problem on doing this. The thing you need to know is how much GPH your skimmer & reactor will need. Get a pump that is about the same amount of both combine and add gate valves to get the right amount of pressure to each item with an extra line for excess pressure if the pump is way over the amount needed. Now it does seem tricky but can be done. I plan on running something similar but using return flow from drain pipes instead of a pump.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are planning on running an ev120. I would Not reccomend running it off one pump that goes to various equipment.
This skimmer relies greatly on water pressure and is kinda tough to dial in as is,,, let alone if you start off with the wrong pressure to begin with.
If this skimmer call for a mag5 Use a 7. If it calls for a mag7 use a nine.
I will be honest with you. I used this skimmer(well a 180 the same but a little bigger) for a year+ and maybe got 1 full cup of skimmate in that time. I was not happy with the product at all.
JMPE

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: