NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I am not trying to start a debate or a flame war here. I've done a ton of reading on skimmers and as most know I do acyrlic work. I trying to design a skimmer thats affordable easy to maintain and does a good job removing organic waste.
different styles amd methods aside everyone reverts back to the BK skimmer as being the holy grail of skimmers and it might very well be but does it justify a cost of $1700+ ?

even if it is energy efficent still it would take years to justify the cost in savings.
like Rich I advocate the bigger the skimmer the better. I presently run a ASM G4 with sedra 9000 needle wheel and I consistantly maintain an ORP of 425 and better (480mv best with lights off) with out Ozone.
I have ove 30 colonies of coral, 12 fish 7 which are 5"+ and are fed everyday

I plan on doing the recirulation mod when I upgrade my tank to a 450
all for under 500.00.
the skimmer will use 90 watts for the sedra 9000 and another 25 watts using genX 1000?

again I'm not attacking BK or it's users wondering if I'm missing something?

does the energy savings justify the large price tag?

nycmat

nYo
Rating - 98.2%
55   1   0
the asm4, i will be getting that this month. it was suggested to me to get the mad as well. Do you know how to do the recirculating mod? i looked it up on the site and it is confusing to me.

thanks
matt

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Frank,

The BK300 have a huge pump that pulls lots of air and uses 80W(spec is 68W). I would say this is 30% performance advantage over the Sedras I have seen.

The skimmer chamber has a very unique flow “director” inner chamber (my Barr Aquatic beckett have a similar design) which reduces the circular flow pattern from a typical needle wheel skimmer. I think this help the efficiency of the skimmer significantly by making all the bubbles rise up instead of being thrown around in a circular pattern.

I have dialed in both skimmer to produce the same color skimmet and the Barr has pulled 50% more out of my tank in the last two days, I will let it run for a few more days and let everyone know which one performs “better”. It is too early to give a judgment on it.

As for paying $1700+ for a skimmer (BK300 retails for $2500), I think is all up to the individual how much expendable cash they can throw in a hobby. For me it is a new toy to play with and I am not looking to justify the purchase by saying it is more power efficient so I will recoup my money back by running one, which is not what a “hobby” is about. As do I feel if this new toy is worth the money? I think the material and labor used to build this skimmer should not make this skimmer cost this much, if the manufacture is efficient with their process. Maybe is the boat ride across the pond :lol:.

You are welcome to see the skimmers in person if you like to “mod” your skimmer with similar concepts.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Justify things that cost alot

I always think that justification is relative to the person.

I collect watches myself and I get flamed to all hell by people when I tell them what the watch costs to "justify" why I am so anal about people touching them.

It bugs me when people compare a Patek Philippe Tourbillion to a Casio or a Timex. Sure both watches do the same thing and equally as well, but its what lies behind the creation that counts.

Both Patek Philippe and Royal Exclusiv have similar operations. Very few staff, but each a master at what he does. The research that goes into creating the RD and the design of the BK has to be recouped somehow. To copy a design that works and improve on is the easy part. That does not cost to much.

So if you ask me that the prices are justified - my answer is yes!!

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Hey I collect Breitlings and I think they are worth any penny. I just don't understand why I loose a minuet every week with such expensive watch :lol:.

I agree on the initial R&D cost but they should spread that cost over a larger amount of units so people would\can affort to buy one. Isn't capturing the market more important in today's business models?

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Chiefmcfuz said:
To someone walking in and reading this part first I can see where things may get misunderstood LOLOL:icon16: :joke: :eek:
Youre to funny man!!!

As for producing more units - they only have like 4 peeps working the skimmer lines man!

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Its preety amazing to go on their site and see how few people are working there. I would love to see their books man. All I know is that skilled labour aint cheap in Germany not to mention the costs of some of these machines they use.

How can they afford to be building giant tanks in Kuwait. Half their staff is gone man.

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
totally understand the collecting part I collect drums and cymbals just finished un packing a set I scored on Ebay. as far as the hobby I agree no price on something that brings contentment. I totally look at life differently since 9/11
life's too short and precious!

Cali I'd like to take you up on that offer I'd love to see your set up
likewise your welcome to visit here also.

I love building stuff to me thats part of my reef keeping hobby

I kind of believe you get what you pay for.....
thats part of my interest in the BK what is other than business practice commands the big $$$

I can understand a price difference between a 180 gal tank made from 1/2 acrylic opposed to a tank made of 1"

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
NYPDFrogman said:
totally understand the collecting part I collect drums and cymbals just finished un packing a set I scored on Ebay. as far as the hobby I agree no price on something that brings contentment. I totally look at life differently since 9/11
life's too short and precious!

Cali I'd like to take you up on that offer I'd love to see your set up
likewise your welcome to visit here also.

I love building stuff to me thats part of my reef keeping hobby

I kind of believe you get what you pay for.....
thats part of my interest in the BK what is other than business practice commands the big $$$

I can understand a price difference between a 180 gal tank made from 1/2 acrylic opposed to a tank made of 1"

You are a lucky man blessed with skills!!! I wish I could do that. I have to rely on retailers, wholesalers and used equipment.

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I'm keepin it real.

cali_reef said:
I have dialed in both skimmer to produce the same color skimmet and the Barr has pulled 50% more out of my tank in the last two days, I will let it run for a few more days and let everyone know which one performs “better”. It is too early to give a judgment on it.

For that type of money are you serious? Dude, does anyone have an ap702 that we could also hook up to cali's for a test?

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
kimoyo said:
I'm keepin it real.
For that type of money are you serious? Dude, does anyone have an ap702 that we could also hook up to cali's for a test?

I am not saying it is not performing just yet, I may not have it "dialed" in just yet since I just hooked it up in my system. I am also not using both drain because I don't have the proper metric fittings, I personally don't think it affects the performance.

I will probably buy a used AP702, AP703 or AP1003 this year to see what all the hype is all about. I know this guy with a AP702 with self cleaning head option too.. Just watching for him to get bore again.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I dont know if and how it affects the performance of the skimmer, but they do say it quite loudly that both should be used and that a correctly dialed in BK the riser tubes will have the same height.

There are quite a few people that are having trouble dialing that sucker in.

Im very curious about the self cleaing option. I have never seen it in action! I hope the guy does not get bored too soon so you get the AP1003

SPSluva

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never knew how many people worked at Royal Exclusiv but I wouldn't be suprised if it was only 4. I know Klaus recently purchased a $100,000 CNC also. And that is just one piece of equipment among the many machines in his shop. I don't even know what all that stuff does, but it has to be expensive. To top all of it off, Royal Exclusiv is not just a company that makes products for retail. From what I remember, they started out as just a company that installed high-end custom setups. Part of the "custom" part of the setups is that they make all of the equipment. Once word got out about the BK's, there has been a huge unexpected demand. Some of this might also help to explain the high price of these skimmers. And no doubt we are paying more over here after paying the extra importation fees.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: