Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all,im new to this and do not currently have a tank but plan on building a nice set up and i would greatly appreciate any and all help,info and tips from all who are willing to point a brother in the right direction,thanks.:chefico:

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Well first off welcome to M.R here are a lot of people that can give you great advice on anything you want to ask (EXCEPT ME) im still learning from mistakes lol. But other than that your are entering a great hobby that you will have to read alot about and the key to this hobby is to have PATIENCE on anything you do with your setup. Other then that welcome about to the MR boat mate enjoy your stay big jay =)

rbtwo4

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Welcome bro first thing first is how much you willing to spend cus this is going to cost ya some good $$$. if i were you id check out the build threads on here that way you can get an idea of what people have done with their setups and might help u in your decision on what size tank you may want. also you might want to contact Russ aka masterswimmer from saltwatercritters.com he can help you with what you may need.

Last edited:

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
Your first mistake was finding this website... too much information to shake a stick at.
Evil_Monkey_301.0.gif

second mistake was wanting to get into this hobby... it's fun, addicting, challenging.

What you want to do is read... understand... re-read... ask questions... search the past few days... most of the questions you might have will have already been asked... hundreds of times before.

This hobby is all about research. You will only get back... what you put into it.

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
skene couldnt have said it better.. welcome..

theres a plethera of knoledge on this site and many proffesional hobbyists here.. there is so much to learn abt this hobby and there have been so many improvements and new technology put into place that it has become a very high tech hobby.. so its all abt how much money you wanna spend bc you can stay basic, you gan get the all in one systems, or you can be like the rest of us and have a plan on going basic and before you know it you have LEDs, a computer based controller and enough reactors to run a nuclear power plant.. lol

ask questions, search the forum and good luck!

rbtwo4

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Your first mistake was finding this website... too much information to shake a stick at.
Evil_Monkey_301.0.gif

second mistake was wanting to get into this hobby... it's fun, addicting, challenging.

What you want to do is read... understand... re-read... ask questions... search the past few days... most of the questions you might have will have already been asked... hundreds of times before.

This hobby is all about research. You will only get back... what you put into it.
Funny guy Skene didnt mention it but i will b4 he tells u to do so when u post a thread...make sure u use the SEARCH function on the site.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Welcome to the MR family!

Funny guy Skene didnt mention it but i will b4 he tells u to do so when u post a thread...make sure u use the SEARCH function on the site.

Yes, please do use the search button for all your questions, and please have or develop a tough skin if you don't.lol You will get some annoyed folks here letting you have it if you ask a question that has been asked, and answered a 100 X over.lol But for the most part you will find very nice, friendly helpful people here.:spin:

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I would first go buy a good book SW/Reef Aquariums...it will give you a good understanding of the massive scope of this hobby. It definetely is more involved than I would have ever imagined.

There is so much involved: Tank size, lighting, filtration, water chemistry, testing equipment...and the options when it comes to each are mind boggling.

The New Marine Aquarium - M. Paletta is a good start.

Maybe other members could recommend another book or two.

Good Luck

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the warm welcome everyone and advice. money wise to put into a set up is not an issue,i really dont have a clue as to how much to start with. i was thinking a small set up and learn with it as i go along and then as time and experience allow upgrade eventually because i know nothing about this hobby but look forward to learning all i can.

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
Congrats... as long as you really understand that this hobby is about learning.. one of the best things to keep in mind when choosing a setup is questioning what you are trying to accomplish.
Example starting questions.
How much patience do I have for this hobby?
Will this interfere with my life?
Where am I going to put the tank? (Very important)
What will be my initial investment into starting the tank?

When you are looking at tank threads to reading questions on the forum... you should ask these questions to yourself. This is a far from cheap hobby, and it can be time consuming. But you only get... what you put into it.
I'm not trying to shy you away from it... but it's like purchasing a dog.
You want to make sure you are willing to commit to providing ideal living for the critters you are interested in keeping.

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
i agree with skene, also depending on which way you go to start either nano or just a regular tank.. it makes a difference with every aspect of the hobby.. so choose what you want wisely or pay twice in the end with tripple the frustration..

but with that said i wouldnt give up this hobby, its way too rewarding..:banghead::sick:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: