xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
When I had a 50 gallon tank, I would use 2 gallons of Kalk for the week because I had alot of SPS and clams in the tank. You're gonna have to find the right balance and it depends on what you have growing in your reef. Kalk precipitates when it reacts to oxygen so only, mix what you need and use it. Some reefers leave the sediment (calcium dust at the bottom of the 1 gallon container) and just mix that with fresh RO water before dripping. Start off slow, check the alk and ca so that it doesn't sky rocket overnight.

Got it thanks last question of the day lol. Now are all kalkwasser the same supplements?

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
Got it thanks last question of the day lol. Now are all kalkwasser the same supplements?

I've used TLF, ESV, Aquarium Systems and now have a 5 gallon bucket of kalkwasser from BRS. I can't really tell the difference. You might want to post that question in the chemistry forum and let Boomer respond back on that topic. Good luck!

crox99

Audi Sport
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
When I had a 50 gallon tank, I would use 2 gallons of Kalk for the week because I had alot of SPS and clams in the tank. You're gonna have to find the right balance and it depends on what you have growing in your reef. Kalk precipitates when it reacts to oxygen so only, mix what you need and use it. Some reefers leave the sediment (calcium dust at the bottom of the 1 gallon container) and just mix that with fresh RO water before dripping. Start off slow, check the alk and ca so that it doesn't sky rocket overnight.

If you use Kalk as tap off do you still need to dose 2 parts and mg?

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
If you use Kalk as tap off do you still need to dose 2 parts and mg?

The kalk can replace the 2 part, but you would still need to add mag. Whether you use 2 part or kalk, you need to check that you don't add too much causing a rapid shift causing stress to the corals. They both work. Need to be cautious to not breath the kalk powder when mixing since it's caustic and bad for your lungs. HTH

crox99

Audi Sport
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
The kalk can replace the 2 part, but you would still need to add mag. Whether you use 2 part or kalk, you need to check that you don't add too much causing a rapid shift causing stress to the corals. They both work. Need to be cautious to not breath the kalk powder when mixing since it's caustic and bad for your lungs. HTH

Thanks. Which is easier to dial in? Dosing or Kalk?

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
Thanks. Which is easier to dial in? Dosing or Kalk?

Dosing 2 part seems to be what alot of reefers are doing. I tried it on my 450 gallon system and never had any real success since the alk and ca kept fighting each other and I couldn't get the levels right, so went back to the calcium reactor and now supplement with kalk with the ato.

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
Hi macro how did u drip ur kalk ? I'm using a kangaroo medical dosing pump but it keeps needing to be primed and alarm goes off pita

I don't drip it. Goes in as part of the ato when the water evaporates. The kalk powder on the bottom is thick and can get crusty. You may want to mix the kalk first in another 1 gallon jug, let it settle for a few hours, then pour only the clear solution without the sediment before using the medical doser to draw in the kalk.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
ive been using it for years, i use it with my doser now as ive had 1 full tank crash with a ato and was fortunate to be home the second time it happened, i will never use it with a ato, also if ya want to save money and have a food grade = purist form get the ms wages pickling lime

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
i use the bubble magnus doser,
jay i tried it before but wasnt overly happy, to much to guage as the vinegar makes the kalk stronger and also is adding a carbon source

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: