Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Hard to believe that people get so surprised when comments that are out of line get removed. My apologies if any of them were yours but we do try to keep threads civil. Entirely too much drama has come from the behavior of a couple of individuals.

Stick to the topic and cut the insanity.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
My 250W Phoenix Mogul pair bulb costs:
Year 1 = 150
Year 2 = 300
Year 3 = 450
Year 4 = 600
Year 5 = 750

Add savings for electricity, the money you save on not buying & running a chiller and the pump that feeds the chiller and the reasons add up.

My online buddy, who is a lighting FANATIC & who has been for years, says these lights are the biggest bang for your buck. When looking at the user reviews, I think it speaks for itself. If anyone has one of these, please chime in.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Maxspect...t_Fixtures-Maxspect-0M1131-FILTFILDTS-vi.html

On another note. MH/T5's have been the best combo that I have ever used (never tried LED's yet). From what I am seeing and hearing from others is that a T5/LED combo would be awesome and would be just as effective as MH/T5's.

Check out this T5/LED combo tank:
http://reefbuilders.com/2013/02/09/reef-builders-month-jason-crockett/

This is what he uses:
"Keeping this tank illuminated is accomplished by using a hybrid light system. A Sunlight Supply T5 light fixture outfitted with four 48-inch 54-watt tubes. Types of tubes used are two ATI-Blue+, one KZ Fiji Purple / ATI Purple Plus (pink bulb) (alternate bulbs at each change out), and one KZ New Generation 14k. Three 48-inch Reefbrite LED strips; two blues and one 50/50. Front to back arrangement of lights; RB-Blue LED, RB-50/50 LED, KZ Fiji Purple / ATI Purple Plus, ATI Blue+, KZ New Generation 14k, ATI Blue+ and RB-Blue LED."

I have them, 2 20"maxspect razors in my 75 gallon, I had them for almost 2 months and I love them. ImageUploadedByReefs1374050897.389556.jpg

duromega

Fish Hoarder
Staff member
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
actually I'm running T5 and I hate when I grab a frag that looks stunning (where I get it from) under LED when I get home the color doesn't look the same. I'm going to add a LED Stripe like KathyC stated and I want you guys to help me out chose a good one because I don't like to buy twice

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
actually I'm running T5 and I hate when I grab a frag that looks stunning (where I get it from) under LED when I get home the color doesn't look the same. I'm going to add a LED Stripe like KathyC stated and I want you guys to help me out chose a good one because I don't like to buy twice

+1 buying twice is not good learned form that lesson before.

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0

Reefbrite actinic (all blue).

Your combo of T5 bulbs could also be impacting how your frags/tank look. What combo are you running and how many?

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
I am going to have to agree with Kathy, the bells and whistles are just toys.

Look around the Globe and the priced private rare SPS keepers usually have MH or a combination of natural sunlight and MH and have for decades.

I need new lights for the sole reason that the tank is much larger than before so what I currently have will not cover it and have an interest for leds due to the suppose no heat factor.

Anyways, anyone that says that clouds, rain and whatever else type of programming is beneficial to corals is wrong, its a toy, a toy most do not enjoy bc the program runs when you are at work, or at least should be at work.

With that said, I will continue to read on about LEDS to ensure I make a wise decision. Its a toss between T5 and fans or LEDS and possible use of fans with that as well. Canopy will not allow me to use MH.

STEVE,
Since you are are an avid SPS keeper my only suggestion to you is don't drink the Kool Aid, programmable lights are nice because its fewer wires and no timer clutter, however you can probably get good led units without the fancy programmability and use a few timer strips, which is what I am considering. You do leave the house, yes? Who is going to enjoy the "cloud show"

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
I'm running

4x T5 HO 54W bulbs. ( 2x 10000K, 2x Actinic) 216W
4x Dual lunar LED modules.

I'm assuming this is over a 48" tank correct? Although a 4 bulb will work fine a switch to a 6 bulb fixture would give you significantly more par, better coverage and a lot more bulb combo choices. That being said...
2 10K's and 2 actinics are doing nothing for your coral color. Try swapping to 2 ATI Blue+, 1 ATI Purple and one Actinic+ or pure actinic. Find a used or new 48" Reefbrite all blue strip and I think you'll find yourself much happier with your coral color. Those 4 led lunar modules are doing nothing for color pop.

And apologies for getting this thread off track. Back to the regular scheduled debate lol.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: