Rating - 100%
54   0   0
You Can Read Every Thing On Led And Get All Different Reviews ..So I CAnt Own And RuN All Fixtures The Point Of This Is For People To Post What Led They HaVe What They Like And Dont. If THey Switched Was It Worth It This Is Part Of Research.

Hey Steve I'm running LED's on my tank. Feel free to swing by, in very close to you. A few blocks away from Vio. I'm off tomorrow and Sunday. PM me for my cell number buddy.

doorag1

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
i told you i couldn't give pro n cons but had ordered my fixture. well let me tell you i have never seen my tank like that before amazing colors couldn't be happier it was colorful but nothing like now. as far as growth :scratchchwe will see just got it so can't saybut looks:shocked1: amazing

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Pros: Everything.

Cons: Initial investment price Is high, Shadows if you plan on keeping a lot of Sps (this can be resolved with additional led strips placed on front and back of canopy at 45 degree angles).

Last edited by a moderator:

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
well, if you're primarily interested in looks over your tank and the extra features then I'm pretty sure only LED/programmable fixtures can do that, so you have your answer right there.

I mean, if you have the money to purchase something based on that then you may as well!!

It'll probably take you more than a few days/weeks to decide if it is worth it and more importantly if you like it (works for the growth/health of your tank vs being pretty)

ecchybridLE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Steve,

Although are postings on here normally spark up huge debates as you can see above, we are going to go out on a limb just to see how long it will last before someone goes into their normal mode of moderation:Lurking:.(basically the sole reason we are taking up a full scale change via FB and national markets for more products and better exposure). Since you are only about 15 minutes from us we are willing to do what NO one will do once again. Shoot me a pm. We will bring a unit to you and let you decide for yourself ON YOUR OWN TANK if LEDs are really for you or not. We will be happy to answer any questions you have, take your current par vs the LEDs and leave. No obligations no strings attached just a chance for you to make up your own mind whether LEDs may be right for you. I only offer because without seeing it on your tank for yourself you'll probably wind up walking away from this post having gained nothing.

+1000 on being someone who wants to actually help someone in the hobby.

greg 45

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Well is here is a offer that you cannot pass up
Others have spent $$$ on other lamps and they are for sale, this includes myself.
I have 12 of these units purchasing 6 more , I wasted 10k on another brand and Fathom are the units that replaced them.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
The heat was my main concern because its a spare room off the hall on the front side of the house the sun beats it all day,between the heat comming off the chiller and the fan in the light fixture displacing the heat its like 90 in there the room feels like a sauna I only have one outlet with old *** electric so I dont think the outlet can handle a fan to blow the hot air out of the room.The whole tank is on that outlet.its not so bad now since those really humid days passed.My fishing rod building bench is in that room too.I agree on the selling points I like how you can ramp them up and down for morning and night Ill pro wait it out in the summer and in the colder months I still want to change ill try it out,this hobby you see all different tanks and set ups equipment it makes you want to try all the different things.

I'd sell the chiller and get an in-room air conditioner that vents out the window. It will keep both you and the tank cool.

IMO unless you know you are staying in the hobby for years & years LED's are not worth the current cost of them.

As Tuni said..do you really need to mimic thunderstorms & sun movement over your tank? T 5's are great for corals and if you want more blue pop, add a Reef-bright LED strip :)

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I just its one of those things where you want what you dont have,I got to see some radions I like them the colors and settings,but long term I think I would miss the mh it had that brightness to it,it was my first tank so I got a good amount of stuff here in the forum..If I had to buy I would have got mh with separate ballast that dim with led for the blues.I like the chiller it keeps 79-80,Ill deal with the heat for the summer..If I ever get a bigger tank Ill get a led fixture and have the mht5 on the other side then I can be sure what I like better.What makes me want led I see lots of u tube with unreal sps tanks and they all had led,but they are experts and pro know how to get the most out of the programs.I dont see me getting rid of my tank I always wanted a reef ..It has been a slow steady climb in the right direction and I am learning a few things.In time Ill have things where I want them.I will add one of those stunners strips I have a few nice zoos and acans I want to see that glow..

greg 45

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Kathy how can you make such a comment dont know how to hyper link.
Do you need to mimick sun movement , T storms ???
Last conversation I had with Fathom was that with new technology that I would like to try cloud coverage, the sun isnt always blaring in the sky,also asked randy his par he states who cares. This isnt days of old if we all dont try something different that on and off like metal halides how will we ever grow and learn.
TRY SOMETHING NEW TODAY

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Kathy how can you make such a comment dont know how to hyper link.
Do you need to mimick sun movement , T storms ???
Last conversation I had with Fathom was that with new technology that I would like to try cloud coverage, the sun isnt always blaring in the sky,also asked randy his par he states who cares. This isnt days of old if we all dont try something different that on and off like metal halides how will we ever grow and learn.
TRY SOMETHING NEW TODAY

I don't need a hyperlink to state my opinion. Plenty of articles out there if you want to look them up.
If you want less 'sun' in your tank, you could always turn your lights off for a day and save some foreign oil :)
I also don't need par readings at the bottom of my tanks that are near as high as at the top. The corals I keep down there WANT less light - works just fine with TECHNOLOGY other than LED's.

I know you only have anemones - per your frequent posts - so not sure why you think LED's are outstanding for all corals as you seem to have little/no experience with them personally?

My anemone tank is doing just fine - they have great color, are thriving and guess what - there is MH on there with a couple of actinics :)

Days of old? Try something new - and what is that - whatever brand of LED lights? No thanks, quite pleased with the T5's I run on one tank and the MH on the other.
Then again I doubt you would consider the Par 38 LED light I have on my small tank a 'real' LED ..and btw it didn't cost 10 grand.

Try something new today? I did, I put Jack Daniels Grilling Sauce on my hamburger and it was DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!! :)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I juat switched ro 6 kessil a360w on my 300 gallon .before I was running 3 250 watt metal halides with raduim bulbs .I always wanted leds but thought they could not match up with the raduim mh bulb ..so far I was wrong the leds been running for over a month now .my corals are still showing great color and growth .plus now I have a dusk and dawn effect and some blue actinic for some crazy night time color pop .I'm still holding on to my mh till I'm 100 percent convinced .but I would have to say so far I'm very happy with the kessils I've seen many other units and to me the kessils match up best to my old radiums

Rating - 100%
161   0   0
A few pics for you

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1373972275005.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373972275005.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 216
  • uploadfromtaptalk1373972293078.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373972293078.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 214

marklugo23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.3%
78   3   0
Leds are worth it. Coming from someone who has leds and have had different leds for over a year. Never had heat problems and my corals look great. I dont talk from my behind like certain people.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: