8aga4epu.jpg

Hey guys, so based on the fact that one of my percs is hosting this mini carpet which is not a maxi mini and not the typical color of a haddoni, can I assume it is possibly a mertens?

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Tank looks great!!! Glad you have a tank in your living room now, the basement is no place for a tank if you can hang out down there.

The mangroves are sweet!!! Do you spray them with water to keep the leaves alive? What is your maintenance for the mangroves?

Well I figured I'd update this thread. Unfortunately my tank was decimated (once again) roughly 2 weeks ago, but this time by ich. I will now allow a 12 week fallow period so I have 10 weeks to go. Although the fish population is non existing, a different kind of population has been creating some movement and caught my attention. There are more pods than I have ever seen, including live mysis shrimp, and they are super cool. Although I've hit a low again, I plan on adding fish again by the end of May. For now I will be focusing on adding inverts, anemones and clams. I would also like to start collecting zoas and possibly cool leathers if I can find any. I'll try to take a video of the little critters I mentioned.

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Sorry to hear. I feel your pain and can somewhat relate. I recently had to deal with an ich wipe-out. Since then lots of things came alive in the tank. And yes, I too saw all sorts of critters running around in the DT. Some unwanted too. The corals are flourishing more now than when there was fishes in there. Last fishes were taken out of the DT the first week of November, so 4 months fallow so far. And I just restarted my QT last week. I'm planning to treat fish for 8 weeks (Prazipro then copper) and then release to DT. So 6 months fallow! I don't ever want to deal with ich again. But I know if I screw up, then it could get back into the tank.
Just be careful to dip any corals/frags you will bring into the DT during fallow period.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
I did the fish less thing last year in hopes of eradicating the parasite so that I could add a hippo and achilles. Tank sat empty for 10 weeks. Fish that survived the hypo for 10 weeks were observed for days with no symptoms and then added to the tank.

Within a week of adding the fish they began flashing again, I opted to add another UV filter instead of moving around plumbing or fighting ich. Tank has 90 watts of UV hitting it since November and the flashing went away and i have not seen any other symptoms.

Take it with a grain of salt...
Try your hardest to complete the entire 12 weeks because 8 or 10 may not be enough.

Thanks for the compliments Tony and Joe, much appreciated!

Wins- the tank is fish less because I had ich about 3 1/2 months ago and they all passed away :( tried to save them but they were too far gone

I did the fish less thing last year in hopes of eradicating the parasite so that I could add a hippo and achilles. Tank sat empty for 10 weeks. Fish that survived the hypo for 10 weeks were observed for days with no symptoms and then added to the tank.

Within a week of adding the fish they began flashing again, I opted to add another UV filter instead of moving around plumbing or fighting ich. Tank has 90 watts of UV hitting it since November and the flashing went away and i have not seen any other symptoms.

Take it with a grain of salt...
Try your hardest to complete the entire 12 weeks because 8 or 10 may not be enough.

Thanks for the advice, I know ich is a tough thing to fight off once you get it bad. I think I've done a decent job at holding off the fish though, I mean I think my tank has been fish less since around the end of February so I was thinking of getting fish this weekend or the following. I want to start off with about 9-12 clowns to fill in all those anemones, like I had in the past. I decided not to do tangs anymore since I feel like they are the first to take a hit and cause the most stress on stock load so I will be going with small fish like wrasses and anthias.

wow, that sucks to lose all that money but a dozen different clowns would look really cool.

You have will power, fish less since February.

Yeah honestly, the money has been a factor but there's nothing worst than losing the fish themselves! Two summers ago I lost a batch of fish that was made of fish I had for well over 3 years, probably the worst experience I had in this hobby. It's not about the money, the personality those fish develop with you is something that takes time to establish. Also, I had a few hard to keep speices and some hit-or-miss species that were model citizens in my reef, such as 3-4 Centropyege angels, Regal angel, heniochus buttefly and copperband butterfly all thriving wonderfully without any compatibility/reef safe/feeding issues.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
You are one lucky hobbyist

My fish don't develop much of a personality beyond the typical behavior.

Some are dwellers and don't beg to be fed
Some swim right up to the surface every time they see a shadow

and right now I have two fish that I swear have been plotting on how to escape the tank. The fish are on opposite ends of the tank and swim up and down the side panels all day long as if inspecting it and the minute I walk by they run off into the rocks probably yelling at each other to hurry he is coming.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
...and right now I have two fish that I swear have been plotting on how to escape the tank. The fish are on opposite ends of the tank and swim up and down the side panels all day long as if inspecting it

I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere, that the 'pacing' back and forth, is an anxiety problem and is not a good sign about the fish' health.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: