Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Hey All,

I have 2 Pajama Cardinals that came with the tank I bought 1.5 yrs ago, eat like pigs and crap just as much. I'd rather reserve that space in this delicate balance for more exotic fare, and wondered how the experts catch fish in the tank that A. Immediately hide behind rocks whenever something foreign enters the tank for a solid 2+ hours and B. Without moving any rockwork/stir up the DSB.

Anyone ever use this 2 bottle method promoted by Reef Cleaners?
http://ftp.reefcleaners.org/how-to-trap-a-fish

Seems doable, because they are the biggest fish in my tank, so the holes would allow the others to swim out...however, they aren't very showy fish and don't come out often. Any other methods ppl use?

Thanks!

ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
You can borrow my trap if you want

I built a fish trap and it works wonders (except for a stupid wrasse)
if your buying look for one with a drop down door and should be transparent
The trap that i built i drilled a hole attached a airline tube and inject food from a foot away you can just put food in the trap or do the same thing

Nandez13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
246   0   0
Hey All,

I have 2 Pajama Cardinals that came with the tank I bought 1.5 yrs ago, eat like pigs and crap just as much. I'd rather reserve that space in this delicate balance for more exotic fare, and wondered how the experts catch fish in the tank that A. Immediately hide behind rocks whenever something foreign enters the tank for a solid 2+ hours and B. Without moving any rockwork/stir up the DSB.

Anyone ever use this 2 bottle method promoted by Reef Cleaners?
http://ftp.reefcleaners.org/how-to-trap-a-fish

Seems doable, because they are the biggest fish in my tank, so the holes would allow the others to swim out...however, they aren't very showy fish and don't come out often. Any other methods ppl use?

Thanks!

I've used this trap successfully many times. It was a pain at first but can work. I avoid feeding for a couple days before trying to use the trap. I place the bottle in an area of the tank where the fish I'm trying to catch usually goes. Shut the flow off so the bottle doesn't move around and then wait.

Reef Reaper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
256   0   0
I leave a very large net in the tank for about a week and then feed the fish around the net. The fish will get comfortable with the net and usually you will be able to catch the fish. I had 50/50 luck with this method, never had luck with the bottle method. good luck!

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
The method i have had the most luck with is using a piece of plexiglass to get the fish cornered, then scoop them out with a net. Leaving the plexi in the tank for a few days will help

1QuickSubaru

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I made my own with a critter cage. Put a rock in it to hold it down. Took a thick piece of tubing with a piece of string tied to it and put it at the edge of the door to keep it open. Throw food in there and sit back and wait for the fish to go in. As soon as it's in there pull on the string and let the door close. Caught a wrasse and two clownfish with it so far...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: