jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
After not being happy with the disco ball effect, hot spots, lack of coverage, high price point, lack of of growth and colors that I've seen in other users tanks, and the constant changing technology resulting in low resale value of many brands of LED's..... I saw something that made me want to take the plunge! SPREAD! I purchased 2 Radion G4 pros and so far things look great. The coverage is excellent on my 32x32 reef. I am running a standard template lighting scheme AB+ which is overly blue, but the corals seem to like it. I'm at 50% max acclamation mode for a while. I have a to to learn about the functionality. The software is far from user friendly but I'll figure it out. This is the tank today, I'll report back in a month or two.

https://youtu.be/tL4Nk1vmWkE

Attachments

• IMG_1284 (1).jpg
    IMG_1284 (1).jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,183

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Whoa!!! Welcome back!
I can honestly say that I never could have seen this switch coming.
I too run Radions, but my colors never looked half as good as yours did with your previous tank.
I'll be watching this closely.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Looks good Rich, congratulations on the switch. Still too expensive for me to switch from MH.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

They pay for themselves with the savings. Especially if you need to run a chiller. I have my tank in the basement so I don't use a chiller and it still made sense to switch when I did the math. I used to run 2x250, now I run 2 radios and 2xt5 bulbs and I'm still ahead.

Nycreef

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
hey Rich,
You may wind up going back to MH's like me in the end, I kept my radions for dawn dusk and went back to 400 watt MH radiums for 6 hours of power growth and color punch.
Ahhh yes, R & R ( Radiums & Radions ) Rest & Relaxation finally!
Best of both worlds

Last edited:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Whao!! Please do report back !

I would love to hear your findings.

Will do!

Whoa!!! Welcome back!
I can honestly say that I never could have seen this switch coming.
I too run Radions, but my colors never looked half as good as yours did with your previous tank.
I'll be watching this closely.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I honestly couldn't stand LED's. IMO results were terrible and the disco look was horrible, not to mention very expensive. My previous setup had a very good nutrient balance and of course the 400w radium. I had more time then, it made things easier. This physically looks good and I m seeing more growth tips in only a few days... we'll see. I received no discount on these units, they're f-ing expensive, and I will be their toughest critic.

Sell out....LOL. Seriously Rich good luck with them. If I were to switch I would probably do Radions too just for the versatility of options , but IMO Radiums on Hamilton magnetic HQIs are hard to beat.....tagging along.

I still have my Giesemann Spectra picture on standby Mike :D

Lol, Welcome to the club! I hope you enjoy the new look of your tank.

Thank you

Looks good Rich, congratulations on the switch. Still too expensive for me to switch from MH.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Will do Joe. Yes, it would be a very expensive leap on a tank your size.

They pay for themselves with the savings. Especially if you need to run a chiller. I have my tank in the basement so I don't use a chiller and it still made sense to switch when I did the math. I used to run 2x250, now I run 2 radios and 2xt5 bulbs and I'm still ahead.

I never needed a chiller on any of my halide/t5 tanks, but the LED does give off way less heat, and I love the functionality. In my case I can't see it paying for itself because if I like them, I will likely upgraded to the new best model :D

hey Rich,
You may wind up going back to MH's like me in the end, I kept my radions for dawn dusk and went back to 400 watt MH radiums for 6 hours of power growth and color punch.
Ahhh yes, R & R ( Radiums & Radions ) Rest & Relaxation finally!
Best of both worlds

lol, that I don't have room for :D

Nice! Welcome to the Radion club. I just finished the upgrade to all G4 pros and boy it looks great. I'm running the AB PHX template which I think you might like a little better--maybe not quite as blue.

I was looking at the phx template. It looked better to me, I just figured that the AB+ might be better while corals become acclimated to the new light. I know you've been having great success with these lights, and you're one of the reasons that I made the switch.

Lol . Dont come crying on my shoulder that your colors suks :)))
Good luck bro :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL you know that will be the case if they suck :D

Tank is looking great!

thanks bud!

Good choice they are the only leds i would run. If you have any questions about the programming lmk I've been messing with them for a while now.

Thanks, I might take you up on that offer. I'll tinker around with settings once I get more time. I appreciate it.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Hi rich I'll be looking to sell my G3 radion soon got a few yrs outta them call it boredom lack of success whatever just ready to try something new I never really ran a mh / t5 combo so gonna give it a shot !!

My experience with radion I love the way they look loved the blue led and the controllability was great although like you I found the program to be far from user friendly and every time I had to adjust them I was cursing and getting frustrated I'm borderline computer illiterate though
When one of my G3 crapped out recently I said enough I need something simple tried and true enough aggravation!

Good luck I've seen amazing tanks with radions and I'm sure you will have success with them

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Hi rich I'll be looking to sell my G3 radion soon got a few yrs outta them call it boredom lack of success whatever just ready to try something new I never really ran a mh / t5 combo so gonna give it a shot !!

My experience with radion I love the way they look loved the blue led and the controllability was great although like you I found the program to be far from user friendly and every time I had to adjust them I was cursing and getting frustrated I'm borderline computer illiterate though
When one of my G3 crapped out recently I said enough I need something simple tried and true enough aggravation!

Good luck I've seen amazing tanks with radions and I'm sure you will have success with them

The whole time I've been avoiding LED because of lack of spread. I had a g2 over my frag talk and it was disgusting. Looked like a disco ball over the tank lol. It's still freaking expensive, but seeing the spread of the g4 gave me the courage to take a plunge with 2 fixtures over my tank. This ended up being the perfect coverage. With older led's I felt the need for 4 fixtures for complete coverage which is not feasible. We'll see, so far so good. If they end up sucking, I'll be the first one to expose any inadequacy. I don't get emotionally attached to my equipment (except for my 400w radium :) )

Confirmed: Rich's account was hacked. Pictures are clearly photoshopped and over saturated.

lol. New video post coming. About a month with these lights. So far so good.

Make sure, you keep the......... ........... recipient for return .lol :biggrin:

There's always an LED nut to buy them :)

Rich if you didn't get a discount you shopped at the wrong place...

Can't believe you went dark side, or is it light side!?

Until I saw the coverage of these fixtures, I thought all LED fixtures suck for SPS unless you stack them..... which gets very pricey. We'll see. Very happy so far.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: