Thales

Advanced Reefer
Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a new member specifically because of this sub-forum. Thank you to the moderators who recognized the need. I can't promise I'll be very active but this forum will be my new daily reading.

To those who don't know what prompted this change go to that other reefing forum and see the post that has been stickied to the top of the website. (Why doesn't anyone ever just state the name of the website or provide a link? IME the practice is to be vague so that's what I'm doing.) I could also provide a detailed explanation, if allowed. I read the thread that was deleted, before it was deleted due to that forum's ban on discussion of sexual orientation and gender identity.

To those who don't understand why this space is needed, the answer is simple yet complicated: representation matters and safe spaces matter. (I can go into more detail why another time).
-Tom
Welcome!

I don't state it because it is ugly, stupid and I want us to get past it, and we have this forum now, but that is me. I see no reason why you should say it or post links to where ever you like - just be careful about posting about what actually happened vs conjecture :D

Last edited:

A4edwin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Off topic and/or divisive post removed - feel free to post again in an appropriate forum. If you have an issue with the existence of any forum on Reefs.com, please talk to Josh.
My comment was not off topic and certainly not divisive. If everyone is welcome on this fórum and are to be treated equally <<< not being divisive and protected By their rules and regulations why is there the need for the sub forum? <<< the topic.

Last edited:

Thales

Advanced Reefer
Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My comment was not off topic and certainly not divisive. If everyone is welcome on this fórum and are to be treated equally <<< not being divisive and protected By their rules and regulations why is there the need for the sub forum? <<< the topic.
I just reviewed the post I removed and stick by my orignal assessment. If you disagree, please contact Josh, he is my 'boss' of this forum. If you want to discuss the existence of any forums on reefs.com, or of adding additional forums, please contact Josh. People continually questioning the existence of a forum in a thread about how all are welcome on reefs.com seems weird and poor form. Why this form exists has been explained several times, if it isn't for you, just scroll along or talk to Josh.

Last edited:

Matt_Wandell

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same reason there is a subforum for SPS keepers and reefers from the South and West etc. Do these subforums bother you too? Did you post multiple times questioning the need for these subforums? I’m going to assume not, which really shows everyone what your actual problem is.

A4edwin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The same reason there is a subforum for SPS keepers and reefers from the South and West etc. Do these subforums bother you too? Did you post multiple times questioning the need for these subforums? I’m going to assume not, which really shows everyone what your actual problem is.
You’re comparing apples to oranges. Sps sub forum makes sense it’s a special section to our hobby. Regional section also makes sense because you can meet up with people that live in certain areas. And you say I’m showing what my actual problem is but yet you don’t know what my preference is. How do you justify that comment? You just judged me with out knowing isn’t that a little biased? But I’ll just keep it moving and I think everybody is welcome in any forum and sub forum. I just didn’t understand the point of it is a transgender person’s reef tank gonna grow differently than a straight persons tank. Oh yes thanks Josh for creating this entire forum.

Thales

Advanced Reefer
Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re comparing apples to oranges. Sps sub forum makes sense it’s a special section to our hobby. Regional section also makes sense because you can meet up with people that live in certain areas.
This forum makes sense for the same kinds of reasons.
I just didn’t understand the point of it is a transgender person’s reef tank gonna grow differently than a straight persons tank.
No one suggested that was the case.

Last edited:

35ppt

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yet you don’t know what my preference is.
I know you're straight because you think it's a preference.

I think it's not so much that this subforum was needed but it's a nice gesture towards a community that is likely feeling like they're not welcome elsewhere. So here is the welcome mat. I think it's a positive response to a negative one elsewhere. An effort for inclusion, why would anyone have a problem with that? On the Humble.Fish forum where I'm usually at we have a thread for cat owner reefers. I doubt any of you would be complaining about the lack of need for a cat thread if one existed over here. Unless of course, you hate cats. And if that's the case, that's your problem. Not anyone else's.

Matt_Wandell

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you're straight because you think it's a preference.

I think it's not so much that this subforum was needed but it's a nice gesture towards a community that is likely feeling like they're not welcome elsewhere. So here is the welcome mat. I think it's a positive response to a negative one elsewhere. An effort for inclusion, why would anyone have a problem with that? On the Humble.Fish forum where I'm usually at we have a thread for cat owner reefers. I doubt any of you would be complaining about the lack of need for a cat thread if one existed over here. Unless of course, you hate cats. And if that's the case, that's your problem. Not anyone else's.
Bingo

35ppt

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it makes sense to you because you’re being political that’s all. It makes zero sense. Something happened on another forum where they don’t want people discussing sex, religion or politics which agree with 100%. And no it had nothing to do with him saying “my husband”Being gay or transgender has nothing to do with this hobby not does being straight, black, white catholic or Jewish . Just like there is no need for a catholic sub forum or a minority sub forum. This all has been brought due to people’s political affiliation and that’s all. I have 2 gay nieces a few gay cousins and a gay aunt. You want to label me as something go right ahead I can give 2 turds. What this forum you created does is create division that’s all. And if straight people are allowed to post in it then why have it at all? Again comes down to politics which is against MRs rules and has been for years
I thought you were leaving Felicia.

Matt_Wandell

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it makes sense to you because you’re being political that’s all. It makes zero sense. Something happened on another forum where they don’t want people discussing sex, religion or politics which agree with 100%. And no it had nothing to do with him saying “my husband”Being gay or transgender has nothing to do with this hobby not does being straight, black, white catholic or Jewish . Just like there is no need for a catholic sub forum or a minority sub forum. This all has been brought due to people’s political affiliation and that’s all. I have 2 gay nieces a few gay cousins and a gay aunt. You want to label me as something go right ahead I can give 2 turds. What this forum you created does is create division that’s all. And if straight people are allowed to post in it then why have it at all? Again comes down to politics which is against MRs dukes and has been for years
No it makes sense to you because you’re being political that’s all. It makes zero sense. Something happened on another forum where they don’t want people discussing sex, religion or politics which agree with 100%. And no it had nothing to do with him saying “my husband”Being gay or transgender has nothing to do with this hobby not does being straight, black, white catholic or Jewish . Just like there is no need for a catholic sub forum or a minority sub forum. This all has been brought due to people’s political affiliation and that’s all. I have 2 gay nieces a few gay cousins and a gay aunt. You want to label me as something go right ahead I can give 2 turds. What this forum you created does is create division that’s all. And if straight people are allowed to post in it then why have it at all? Again comes down to politics which is against MRs rules and has been for years
Being LGBTQ+ has nothing to do with political affiliation.

All these complaints about “being divisive” and “being political” are really just a plea to respect the wishes of people who want gay people to shut up and go away and stop bothering them with their gayness. The good news is you can do that all by yourself by ignoring this subforum and continue using the rest of the forum like you did before.

Matt_Wandell

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re comparing apples to oranges. Sps sub forum makes sense it’s a special section to our hobby. Regional section also makes sense because you can meet up with people that live in certain areas. And you say I’m showing what my actual problem is but yet you don’t know what my preference is. How do you justify that comment? You just judged me with out knowing isn’t that a little biased? But I’ll just keep it moving and I think everybody is welcome in any forum and sub forum. I just didn’t understand the point of it is a transgender person’s reef tank gonna grow differently than a straight persons tank. Oh yes thanks Josh for creating this entire forum.
So the regional section makes sense because you can meet up with people who live a state away? Okay. Do you think maybe the point of subforums is that humans like to form smaller groups composed of people who understand their unique problems and can offer good advice? Like would it bother you if there were a subforum of colorblind reefers? Would you really feel the need to barge into that forum and stamp your feet about how political and divisive it was?

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Being LGBTQ+ has nothing to do with political affiliation.

All these complaints about “being divisive” and “being political” are really just a plea to respect the wishes of people who want gay people to shut up and go away and stop bothering them with their gayness. The good news is you can do that all by yourself by ignoring this subforum and continue using the rest of the forum like you did before.
So where is my catholic forum? Is there none because you want me to shut up and go away?

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
So the regional section makes sense because you can meet up with people who live a state away? Okay. Do you think maybe the point of subforums is that humans like to form smaller groups composed of people who understand their unique problems and can offer good advice? Like would it bother you if there were a subforum of colorblind reefers? Would you really feel the need to barge into that forum and stamp your feet about how political and divisive it was?
You just don’t get it because you’re blind to your political bias. Again where is my catholic sub forum. I am attacked everyday in social media and other reef forum for talking about my religion and they remove my posts. Can I get that?

Matt_Wandell

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s my point it creates division
It really doesn’t. There is a zoanthid subforum. You can post there. Not everybody does. You can also post everywhere else. Such is the same with this forum. The uniting feature is that we all like reef aquariums.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: