Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Have a two headed Aussie Torch where one head has been closed the past few days and wasn't sure if there was brown jelly disease. I just dipped it in some witch hazel followed by ReVive Coral cleaner. A whole bunch of things came off. I initially thought it was flatworms, but doesn't look like flatworms? Anyone have any idea? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_8231.jpeg
    IMG_8231.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_8232.jpeg
    IMG_8232.jpeg
    848.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_8233.jpeg
    IMG_8233.jpeg
    877 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_8234.jpeg
    IMG_8234.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_8235.jpeg
    IMG_8235.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Sees like it is still alive? Any advice on how I can potentially salvage it? First pic is last night, second pic is this morning (more opened)
IMG_8244.jpeg
IMG_8245.jpeg

Czynot

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I love the Assuie gold torch. I two that die on me. One I had for over a year. it always open until a month before it develop hole in the tips. it don't open as much after that than it melted next few days. Both did this at different time. I have friends that had same issue with Assuie gold.

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I love the Assuie gold torch. I two that die on me. One I had for over a year. it always open until a month before it develop hole in the tips. it don't open as much after that than it melted next few days. Both did this at different time. I have friends that had same issue with Assuie gold.
Yes, this one was my favorite with an orange body under the lights ?

It is interesting you say that. Looking closely at the first pic in my first post, I noticed holes on the tip of the tentacles also. If it is bacterial, I am hoping the Witch Hazel helped. Also considering if I should use some Cipro

dedragon-reef

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
those are flatworms reefbuilders had a write up about them. I would dip all euphyllia corals if you have anymore
I was going to say flatworms too but those pieces are too dark. Reading the article, euphyilla flatworms are a light color. Plus, to have an infestation that bad would be very difficult if thats his only euphyillia. That large of a colony of flatworms couldnt be sustained w just 1 torch

Czynot

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Those do not look like flatworms. It look like tentacle tip. Put it under blue light. It will be yellow and blue if it is torch tissue.
As far as I know. Assuie torch show hole in the torch tip is at deaths door step. Witch hazel or dip won’t do anything. Most will die.
Hope your torch will turn around.

kevin315

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
aussies are unfortunately, just hard to keep in general. Either you buy from an established head which would cost you around 350+, or you will have to take a chance with the 250 ones.

There are also a indo torch that looks exactly like the aussie except its brighter and tentacles are longer. I have this as a substitute for the hard to keep aussie lol

also i assure you that is not flatworm

Nanoreefer415

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Fwiw ive had torches in my system that came wild and would do fine for a year sometimes and then this exact scenario would happen, a single head would retract and then days later full rtn of the entire piece. Once the tentacle flesh gets any sort of laceration its a hit or miss game. Multiple things could have caused the initial damage to said polyp, whether or not bacterial issues were the reason for its demise. If you have any other euphyllia in system and they are all happy this is the most likely reason

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Fwiw ive had torches in my system that came wild and would do fine for a year sometimes and then this exact scenario would happen, a single head would retract and then days later full rtn of the entire piece. Once the tentacle flesh gets any sort of laceration its a hit or miss game. Multiple things could have caused the initial damage to said polyp, whether or not bacterial issues were the reason for its demise. If you have any other euphyllia in system and they are all happy this is the most likely reason
Thanks Nano. I do have others in the system and they are all Indo and doing well. I know the Aussies can be hit or miss.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: