Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Screenshot_20220328-211950_Chrome.jpg

This guy Fraser, how ever you spell his name I recorded a call between us and he was like reading off a script or something barely could make words.

There is a high influx of scammers comming onto these forums and trying to grab and go, you all need to be careful especially with new members joining, please be safe and if you think it's suspicious please post their name here and have mods check and report them immediately! This is no joke and it's also being done in the personal message with emails when you post want to buy or what ever the case may be. Also another flag is the TEXT APP numbers as well, if it seems fishy it is definitely not a good idea!

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Here is another one which was in my inbox. Trying to get me to call a Google number, for stratosphere zoa. Which obviously I wasn't gonna reply or even think of giving my money too.

Screenshot_20220328-220940_Chrome.jpg

BD_Reefing

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Admin should make a policy of having to be on the forum for at least 30 days and have a certain number of contribution prior to being allowed to view the buy and sell threads, I’ve seen the work on other forums .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
That would result in no one joining the site to buy or sell.

I mean it's that the main objective is to attract people to buy and sell? Not talk about topics and get to know one another and share advice.? Just asking not being sarcastic, cause over the past few months it's been hitting hard with these scammers and have been getting quite a few people. For it to be protected of the people of the forum maybe an extra added layer of security to make it not as easy for them to just come on here to smash and grab then vanish into thin air.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
I mean it's that the main objective is to attract people to buy and sell? Not talk about topics and get to know one another and share advice.? Just asking not being sarcastic, cause over the past few months it's been hitting hard with these scammers and have been getting quite a few people. For it to be protected of the people of the forum maybe an extra added layer of security to make it not as easy for them to just come on here to smash and grab then vanish into thin air.
No. The main objective of the site is for people to meet each other. We’ve found that the most popular way of doing that is by buying or selling something. That doesn’t mean that educating each other is not our focus, but human connection is important.

We are not going to block anonymous browsers from viewing the forums, and we feel that new members should be able to sell (its actually a benefit for the older members).

We also do not allow public shame threads beyond alerting the moderators to a potential problem. So please use the feedback system.

if you feel there is some sort of coordinated or systemic fraud, then just alert a moderator and we will handle it.

Thanks again for your help and support Rob!

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
No. The main objective of the site is for people to meet each other. We’ve found that the most popular way of doing that is by buying or selling something. That doesn’t mean that educating each other is not our focus, but human connection is important.

We are not going to block anonymous browsers from viewing the forums, and we feel that new members should be able to sell (its actually a benefit for the older members).

We also do not allow public shame threads beyond alerting the moderators to a potential problem. So please use the feedback system.

if you feel there is some sort of coordinated or systemic fraud, then just alert a moderator and we will handle it.

Thanks again for your help and support Rob!

No worries always will support!
I didn't have the intentions of shaming anyoneBut to keep these usernames that are doing so out there so it is known on the topic and type of scam maybe they were trying to do to that person, so the insite for those experiences would be posted to let others know they type of scam going around so they don't get bamboozled too. (Hopefully never does)

But if something like this isn't aloud and need to be taken down as per rules sorry

nellynel21

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
That would result in no one joining the site to buy or sell.
They could join in . But You should have a policy that for new members to sell or buy in this forums should have more then 15 post on others thread.. there post will be under review to determine if there post or question are reef related .

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
They could join in . But You should have a policy that for new members to sell or buy in this forums should have more then 15 post on others thread.. there post will be under review to determine if there post or question are reef related .

Why?

It's a weird market/industry. Caring for a tank is much different than a dog or cat that can bark or bite to tell you it needs something. Lots of people have bad experiences with aquariums.

We aim to educate people so they stay in the hobby for the long run, like you and I. But it's not for everyone and aquariums are also physically difficult to deal with. Having an open market for people who want to help out others at the beginning or even sadly the end of their experience in the hobby, that is what we are trying to facilitate.

It doesn't make sense for animals to be neglected because it is too difficult to give it away.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
But to keep these usernames that are doing so out there so it is known on the topic and type of scam maybe they were trying to do to that person

No, that's not how it works here. We don't want to just be shaming people/scammers. Use the feedback system, it works. If you think there is a systemic/systematic scam or bad dealers, please contact a mod immediately.

angel125

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I started a thread in WTB for fish and I put my cell number and someone hit me up saying they selling purple tangs for 50 bucks shipped. When I asked what’s their user name in Manhattan reefs he or she totally ignored the question and asked how many I wanted ??‍♂️ He sent me a pic of like 20 purple tangs but when I asked if he had different species he said no he only had that one ??‍♂️ photo looked like it was a fish farm but didn’t have no other type of fish smh

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
I was informed that someone is impersonating me trying to sell Indo gold torches.

If this person text you out of the blue it is not me :)

Attachments

• CA267B48-3376-47A4-96E6-8B96E32B62B3.png
    CA267B48-3376-47A4-96E6-8B96E32B62B3.png
    98.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 4CBFD042-CE02-43C5-A348-038A3E64D716.png
    4CBFD042-CE02-43C5-A348-038A3E64D716.png
    114 KB · Views: 0

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: