Hey MR

After being out of the hobby for 1.5yrs, I’ve reset-up my 92g cube this past weekend. Now that I have a few weeks for the tank to cycle, I’ve started to make a list of fish I want to keep.

I know inflation has crept into everything we buy these day but geeeez. Liveaquaria prices are insane. A $6 chromis is now $20? ?

at this rate, it will cost about $1k for just the fish ?‍♂️. Are LFS prices the same?

My 92 cube before breaking it down. Most corals were 1+ft

B1C2E722-E15D-4C0D-B356-BF181F467716.png

The problem is shipping fish/coral is a low priority, which makes it very hard for places to get in livestock, plus it doesn't help that Hawaii is also closed down. This is also causing the different types of fish to be very limited too. Hopefully in time things will open up again.
I hope so!!! I guess it will take quite a few trips to the LFS to find the fish I want to keep

Welcome back man, not just fish. Corals and everything else :D

I going to wait 1yr to start getting coral. I guess I’ll find out the prices then ?

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
iv read they dont do well it QT. i put it in a QT tank and once i added copper it stopped eating and died. next one i will just observe in qt with live rock so its more natural. i did have one last time i was in the hobby, and it did well. kept aptasia under controll. just got back in myself. good luck

slyseekr

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I know how you feel, looking at $150 flame angels these days has me cross eyed! Everything has pretty much jumped in price since pandemic, I think partly because shipping delays mean more losses, which hits the retailer, also fuel costs.

That said, it’s a wise choice to avoid LiveAquaria these days, not only for price but also quality of their fish. Petco sold the company some time ago to an importer/wholesaler and quality of their livestock and their packaging practices coming out of LA is really terrible.

If I’m going to spend that much $$$ on shipping livestock now, I’d rather go to these places:
  • BlueZoo (trustworthy LA alternative)
  • NYAquatic (best prices, largely good quality livestock, also local and Michael is a stand up guy if you call him/meet him at their facility in Yonkers which is highly highly preferred to shipping)
  • TSM (quarantined fish, more expensive, less stock, but the best quality, sometimes rare fish you can order)
  • Reef Pro (conditioned, eating fish, super rare species, very expensive, but they stand by their livestock)
Every once in a while I’ll do my rounds at LFS in NJ and Long Island, some good stores in the region. Prices are probably on par what you find online, unless you’re in search of something rare and inherently expensive (then online is probably the better choice)
  • Absolutely Fish (Clifton). Good range of livestock, starting to get captive bred fish (some super rare/expensive)
  • Country Critters (Patchogue). they seem to be improving their livestock quality these days + $350 Gem Tangs, sometimes $250. Aside from NYAquatic, probably best prices on fish in the region.)
  • Advanced Marine (Albertson). High quality fish, good prices (recently had Borbonius Anthias for $220 and generally holds his stock for a week before selling)
  • Caribbean Blue (Bay Shore). Decent selection, but a little pricey, and on the way to Country Critters, lol.
  • Aquatic Obsessions (Avenel). Decent prices, sometimes gets high end species.
  • Aquarium Care Center (Asbury Park). Good selection and quality though I usually won’t go unless I’m already in the area.

slyseekr

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ve tried keeping a copperband a few times over the past 10yrs with no luck. He always got bullied

I want to start off with a copperband this time around.

CBs are definitely are timid, but if you can find a food they go crazy for to start, they’ll quickly get over it. I’ve had good luck with live bloodworms, and then wean them onto frozen/prepared foods.

I know how you feel, looking at $150 flame angels these days has me cross eyed! Everything has pretty much jumped in price since pandemic, I think partly because shipping delays mean more losses, which hits the retailer, also fuel costs.

That said, it’s a wise choice to avoid LiveAquaria these days, not only for price but also quality of their fish. Petco sold the company some time ago to an importer/wholesaler and quality of their livestock and their packaging practices coming out of LA is really terrible.

If I’m going to spend that much $$$ on shipping livestock now, I’d rather go to these places:
  • BlueZoo (trustworthy LA alternative)
  • NYAquatic (best prices, largely good quality livestock, also local and Michael is a stand up guy if you call him/meet him at their facility in Yonkers which is highly highly preferred to shipping)
  • TSM (quarantined fish, more expensive, less stock, but the best quality, sometimes rare fish you can order)
  • Reef Pro (conditioned, eating fish, super rare species, very expensive, but they stand by their livestock)
Every once in a while I’ll do my rounds at LFS in NJ and Long Island, some good stores in the region. Prices are probably on par what you find online, unless you’re in search of something rare and inherently expensive (then online is probably the better choice)
  • Absolutely Fish (Clifton). Good range of livestock, starting to get captive bred fish (some super rare/expensive)
  • Country Critters (Patchogue). they seem to be improving their livestock quality these days + $350 Gem Tangs, sometimes $250. Aside from NYAquatic, probably best prices on fish in the region.)
  • Advanced Marine (Albertson). High quality fish, good prices (recently had Borbonius Anthias for $220 and generally holds his stock for a week before selling)
  • Caribbean Blue (Bay Shore). Decent selection, but a little pricey, and on the way to Country Critters, lol.
  • Aquatic Obsessions (Avenel). Decent prices, sometimes gets high end species.
  • Aquarium Care Center (Asbury Park). Good selection and quality though I usually won’t go unless I’m already in the area.
Thanks for the insight and info!! I’ll definitively will be checking a few of these stores thanksgiving weekend

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: