Status
Not open for further replies.

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
pecan2phat said:
Same here, most died and haven't seen them attacking cyno. Really couldn't tell the difference between these and Margarita snails.
me too. i haven't seem any action on the cyno. but they seems to eat other types of algeas. they also can't seem to get up on thier own after they fall off glass if they land on sand.

charile1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
reefman said:
me too. i haven't seem any action on the cyno. but they seems to eat other types of algeas. they also can't seem to get up on thier own after they fall off glass if they land on sand.

Ditto. 5 of the 8 has died. The hermits are using the shells now.

Ronen, thank you for putting this group buy together. I'm not being sarcastic.

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
fritz said:
I can't believe they're eating the cyano! When I put them in I was thinking that they look EXACTLY like the "Margarita Snails" I bought from FT. So I acclimate, put them in and they went right to work. Where ever they went, no cyano. So I started thinking; "maybe they are leaving a slime trail that disapates the cyano, they can't be eating the cyano." Well after a few hours I can say that they are going where the cyano is and when they leave the area no more cyano. I'll update as time goes by but I'm impressed.

fritz want to chime in and update the community on the snails?

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Srry guys ,dont know what to say ,,Im gonna check my tank for them as well.] as for red slime ,they didnt eat any in my tank either :(

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Sorry all, I stopped following this thread. All of mine are still alive and I gave one to nanoreefer. They went to town on my cyano and continue to eat. My walls are covered in "snail teeth marks" in fact that's how I know when I've slacked on cleaning my glass. Odd that I'm having such different experiences then you guys. Everyone knows that they're nocturnal right? Also I don't have any hermits to eat them so that might explain why none of mine of died (or been killed.)

I was standing next to Ronen when he opened up the bags so I got them literaly as they came in. I acclimated them slowly (as I was desparate to get rid of my cyano and didn't want to loose any) and dropped them in. Mine eat like champs although all snails eat less once you've had them for awhlie. A weeks worth of trans-shipping makes for hungry snails.

fritz

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
So after my tank changeover Cali gave me some corals (thanks again) and I mounted them to some rock rubble that I had. The rubble had been dry and sitting in a glass jar. Each piece of rock rubble began to grow cyano and now I have a few patches on these rocks.

Today I noticed two snails munching away on my cyano! So I ran and grabbed my camera to show you all.

The pics aren't great because with the micro bubbles it's hard to get it focussed right. (Plus my camera sucks) :)

I'll post some more pics after they eat some more.

It's probably hard for you to tell what you're looking at but these were covered with cyano so if you see a part of the rock that is bright white, that's a place where the snail has been.

In the middle pic that snail was just placed there so he just began eating.

Attachments

• PICT1254.JPG
    PICT1254.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 730
  • PICT1252.JPG
    PICT1252.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 724
  • PICT1246.JPG
    PICT1246.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 709

fritz

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Of all my snails that were out in the open (sleeping) only two took to eating the cyano, the others moved to the nearest overhang and seemed to go back to sleep.

I'd venture to guess that these two that ate were searching for food while the halides were on so they were hungry. The rest weren't so hungry as to forage during the day so they weren't at the point where eating bacteria seemed like a good idea.

Here are pics of more cyano having been eaten.

Attachments

• PICT1255.JPG
    PICT1255.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 694
  • PICT1256.JPG
    PICT1256.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 693
  • PICT1257.JPG
    PICT1257.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 685
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: