rcharliesam

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Have been having ongoing issues with this algae. I have been able to kill it off with peroxide, it burns up pretty quickly, but eventually it returns. It takes a strong hold in to the rock work and is difficult to remove manually.

The texture is wiry and smooth with some dark green banding.

IMG_4085.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rcharliesam

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Definitely a solid cross section, the growth pattern is almost identical to what you see there, it plants its root and sprouts up a bit. In some areas it seems to be more of a mat, or attaches in multiple spots as it spreads. Could be a rhizome type growth which would explain why it is so difficult to manually pull. It does grow on the plastic wall of my tank also, and is hard to pull from there as well, so unsure if it actually is that type of growth.

Just looked closer at some pictures of chaeto and you might be right... lol how do I get this out of the tank? I assume I need to reduce the hell out my excess nutrients. (Haven’t tested in a long time). When the tank was new, I would religiously test and still had the issues, regular water changes with rodi, mindful of feeding volume, etc. I always felt that my pukani rock might be the culprit (acid bath when I first got it, but always had algae issues no matter what. Hmm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
chaeto doesn't put down roots structures as far as I know, but it can get sticky and attach. You'll have to get some feed back from people who use chaeto reactors. I personally cant get chaeto to grow. heh, it gets overgrown itself, but I do have a few bits and pieces sticking, but nothing like what you're describing.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: