• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
OK, so I am just now staring at my tank with the actinics on and notice a piece of rock has a few of these really small skinny white worm-like creatures coming from within the rock?

anyone have any idea?
I try and get pics

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
It is smooth, small, white cylinder body with no visible tentacles. It appears as if they are anchored in the rock but are able to move their long body a bit from the holes without leaving the holes. Odd
I am guessing they are spaghetti worms cause they sure fit the description. Only came out when MH lights off and actinics on. NOt seeing them this morning but i know they are there.
Would the future 6 line wrasse eat them?
That fish wont be in my tank for at least a few months but still ?

ANyways we shall see
thanks

ScottK

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Is it a vermetid snail?

medium

medium

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are too small and my camera skills are lacking but i try tonight when they come out!

Hi DrCooper ;-) and thank you for helping us to help you. While we wait for your possible photographs, would you please browse here for a possible identification of the skinny white worm and let us know about if you did or not find a possible match. Thank you

We Look forward for your reply with hopefully more detailed information that could lead for a positive identification.

Cheers
Pedro Nuno ;-)

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Unknown White String Thing.. still unknown 2/24/04
Hey Crew
<howdy>
Hope all is well. I have a 35 gallon hex with a Fluval 404, Bak Pak skimmer and a 96 watt PC 50/50. I have 2 Perculas, 1 Coral Beauty, 1 cleaner shrimp, A small open Brain, a scallop (I know you disapprove, but I take good care of him), 8 margarita snails, a couple hermits and a sand sifting star. Ph 8.2, Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 10, Temp 80. My question is regarding white hair like stings that have shown up in my tank over the last week. I have read through every FAQ I can find but have not found anything that answers my question. I have attached a few pictures for you. Sorry for the quality, a hex tank makes it hard to get close up pictures, so I had to enlarge them. They are primarily on the glass but I do have some on the LR. They are stationary (or if not, none of them have moved) and appear to just lifelessly wave in the current. I am not even sure if they are alive!! At first I thought some sort of snail excrement or eggs, but there are to many and they are about 1mm thick and 1.5" long. My only thought is that they are some sort of worm or ectoproct. I have not seen a negative effect on the system, but that does not mean they are harmless. I appreciate your help! Have a great day! Scott
<alas... the pics are low res and a blur. Nothing we can see from here. It would not be surprising if it were a worm though. Do send a better pic if you can in time. Read more on polychaetes in the archives until then or beyond. Kindly, Anthony>

A Wacky Worm!
Dear Crew:
<Hi there! Scott F. here today!>
Hello again! Just a quick ID here if it is not too much trouble. I tried to keep the .Jpg size as small as possible:) I just ordered 50lbs of NANO size Marshall Island rock. I placed the rock in a couple small QT tanks so I can make sure of it before adding to my already settled main display tank without any problems.
<Excellent procedure!>
On day 2, this little thing made its' way to the front of the glass. Any ideas what it could be? Thank yo so much in advance for all of your help!
Steve
<Well, Steve- it looks to me to be a Sipunculid, commonly known as a "Peanut Worm" (Now, ask yourself- does that thing look like a peanut to you?). They are fairly common on South Pacific rock, and are essentially harmless detritivores or suspension feeders. It will eventually settle back into the rock or substrate if it is healthy. They do best in situations where supplemental "feeding" systems, such as refugia, are connected to the main tank, or where you have a thriving reef system. Enjoy this oddity! Regards, Scott F>

its the eight picture on that site

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Duke62
if you mean this one

Unknown_tiny_white_worm_id_WWM.jpg

ist's very difficult to define due to the poor quality of the photograph, however from the shape of it and way it looks to be attached to the glass, could be a Microprotula cf. ovicellata (just see the images and drawings), a very tiny serpulid calcareous tube worm, or it could be a Nemertean also known as Ribbon Worm

if it is this one

worm1.jpg

then these are bristle worms about which you can read more about here and here you can se some interesting facts (just see the photographs and texts in English)

Any have a look here as well

Cheers
Pedro Nuno ;-)

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so I am just now staring at my tank with the actinics on and notice a piece of rock has a few of these really small skinny white worm-like creatures coming from within the rock?

anyone have any idea?
I try and get pics

Hi DrCooper ;-)

From your description it looks to something like this that you can see also more here at Dr. Ron Shimek web site

http://www.ronshimek.com/images/animals/echiura/echiuranR.jpg

If it is, then it is an Echiuran worm
Please tell us if yes or no

Cheers
Pedro Nuno ;-)

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look JUST LIKE THAT but are all white! !!!!!
We may have the winner

Now what

Thanks Pedro

Hi DrCooper, your welcome, my pleasure

Congratulations, your reef clean-up crew and reef-janitorial staff is installing it self in the premisses, so now just remember this
DrCooper said:
I LOVE PORT WINE
, get one of these (or send me your address if you have trouble in finding it...), but not the vintage, because vintage port has to be opened by breaking the bottle neck gently using fire, cold water and Port Tongs and decanting the wine, have a look here and here and here, and you have to drink the entire bottle within the same day so that the wine doesn't loose properties. You should pouring the wine very gently every time and follow this tradition

A TRADITION

Port, either in bottle or decanter, is traditionally passed from right to left or clockwise around the table. There are a number of explanations for this, one of which is that it was seen as a sign of friendship and peace to the person sitting on their left. Pouring a glass of Port with your right hand would prevent you being able to draw your sword or revolver.
...well this does not apply to me since I did practice fencing (sabre) and used left hand for it and can use both hands equally in some other situations...:Starwars::tongue1::Blurp::biggrin:

A much more practical reason is that the majority of people are right-handed making it easier to pour the wine with the right hand and pass it on with the left.
...so given this select a Ruby Port or even a Tawny, but I suggest Ruby...get some cheese, chocolate biscuits...and enjoy...:wineglass (drink wisely or your liver and head will suffer very much in the following day...and don't let yourself fool for the apparently low and fruity velvet smooth immediate effect...because the following day:headache:...enjoy:wineglass :smile:

Cheers
Pedro Nuno
Post Sriptum: ...ellebelle remember this
ellebelle said:
will trade frags for wine. :)
...well I'll be sending you the wine, either Port or other wine, as soon as I know were to send it, and will talk about the frags latter.:smile:

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: