Marcellina

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
There is a sort of ' brown zoa' growing in the middle of my radioactive dragon eyes colony. There are actually two of them on different areas.

I am not sure if its a bad thing and if it is how to go about removing it? ITs been there for a couple of months and hasnt spread.

Id doesnt look like aptasia or manjano to me.

help!

DSC05417-1.jpg

Marcellina

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I googled more images of manjano and I guess that is what it is.

The pictures I have seen are more purple or green. This is rusty colored.

It hasnt spread since I have seen them but I certainly dont want to tempt fate ! How do I go about removing them?

pdnyc69

acan and zoa master
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
kalk paste. or i believe an iodine bath will do. but i have used kalk paste on very pest that has showed up. it works instantly with no reoccurances. i pull the rock out. apply the paste. let it air dry for 3-4 min. then reintroduce the rock with minimal to no flow on it.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
try aiptasia-x...make sure you get it into its mouth and watch it implodes. it worked for me and the zoas don't seem to be affected by it. sometimes they do come back after a few weeks....no worry just juice it again....eventually it will disappear forever.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Marcella, I just had to take care of something similar in the midst of my chocolate mint zoas. I took a syringe filled it with plain old white vinegar, (as I have done on previous occasions with great results), and injected it right in its mouth.;) So far it has worked in the past, and never hurt anything else around it, nor have I pulled the rocks out of the system.:)

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i injected a majano with vinegar that was attached to the side of a leather, and the next day it simply split into 3.
i would go with the kalkwasser paste. you don't have to take the rock out though. just mix it very thick, so you can barely draw it up in a syringe(without the needle on), and shut off the flow in the tank for a sec. squirt a glob right on it's mouth. when it closes up on it, put another little glob over it. you won't see it again.

google "syringe". you should be able to find some easily if you can't get one from a local reefer.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yiliyang said:
Why don't you just use a pair of tweezers and get them out physically? You said you only have 2? That is what I would do, I don't like chems in my tank.

That's not such a good idea. It actually stimulates it to multiply if even the smallest amount gets left behind. Kalk is safe, so is vinegar. Vinegar actually stimulates growth of beneficial bacteria.

Sent from my iPod touch using Reefs

Marcellina

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Update: I finally got some Kalk and a syringe in my LFS and squirted a glob of the Kalk into the pests and the closed up and havent opened in the last 10 minutes. Will the Kalk harm the tank at all? When I squirted the first one it closed up so fast a glob fell onto the top of it as well and a little fell into the sand. I dont want anything I like to die. SHould I do a water change or something?

Marcellina

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I have an extra syringe that you can have! How's the jawfish?

THanks Reef Reaper! I was able to find the syringe at a LFS so I am good :)

The jawfish is as entertaining as ever! He did end up killing one of my purple gorgonia as he likes to keep dragging the tall thing into his little cave. lol I am very happy that he practically came back from the dead!

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I googled more images of manjano and I guess that is what it is.

The pictures I have seen are more purple or green. This is rusty colored.

It hasnt spread since I have seen them but I certainly dont want to tempt fate ! How do I go about removing them?

If you can take the colony out, just scrape the sucker off and then apply a bit of paste where it was attached.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: