DrHarryLopez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Anybody has experience with this guy "V Tail Grouper"

Bought him about two weeks ago and has aclimated himself well. I feed him daily meaty foods, but the 3 clowns I bought 3 wks ago are gone :grumpy:
I think he's the culprit. Now I have a 6 line wrasse n a hawk fish ( both fully grown n over 3 yrs old) I hope he doesnt go after these two!

The grouper is about 3" n very active. I read whats online but I'm looking for someone with personal experience.

vtailGrouper%20(Small).jpg

OzoneParkGuy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Pretty cool grouper but will try and (inhale)eat anything that can fit into it's mouth. Turns a light shade of red almost pinkish at times and blood red with white spots really standing out. Will also dwell and lay on its side on the bottom of the sandbed.

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
sorry about your loss but groupers are never good news in reef tanks .

if the grouper is 3" how big were the clowns?

Dr. Lopez: Eat anything funny lately?

Grouper: Yeah some guys that thought they were clowns!

Last edited:

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Myself at some point bought these fish because of their bright colorations.The V tail in particulal don't hide as much ,they are often seen swimming from hole to hole or just chilling out .They grow very fast, eat smaller fish for a living and are very active at night.In six months your 3'' V tail will be close to 6'' with an over bite.Your wrasse is doomed ,the V tail will eat or kill potential pray items such as wrasses,anthiases ,snappers,grunt,damselfish to name a few.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Myself at some point bought these fish because of their bright colorations.The V tail in particulal don't hide as much ,they are often seen swimming from hole to hole or just chilling out .They grow very fast, eat smaller fish for a living and are very active at night.In six months your 3'' V tail will be close to 6'' with an over bite.Your wrasse is doomed ,the V tail will eat or kill potential pray items such as wrasses,anthiases ,snappers,grunt,damselfish to name a few.
Sorry to say i told ya.:(

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Sorry you had to go through this! Have you gotten him out yet?

I had gotten a 2" one many years ago when I had my aggressive fo. He took out all the other fish, and grew to 8" before I got rid of him because I didn't feel like having a tank dedicated to 1 fish.:(

DrHarryLopez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Sorry you had to go through this! Have you gotten him out yet?

I had gotten a 2" one many years ago when I had my aggressive fo. He took out all the other fish, and grew to 8" before I got rid of him because I didn't feel like having a tank dedicated to 1 fish.:(

He's not out yet but i will get him out after the meeting.

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
its a grouper, what more info do you need. WILL NOT GO WITH SMALLER FISH. If it doesnt fit in its mouth he will hold it in its mouth til it does, and the 6line and hawk are begining to look like a meal

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: