MaryHM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a quick rundown:

AMDA- The American Marinelife Dealers Association- www.amdareef.com
This organization is a trade organization consisting of businesses within the United States that deal in marinelife. The bulk of the membership is retailers, with a few wholesalers. AMDA has many programs in the wings, but frankly is in need of more funding to get any of them off the ground. Although AMDA is open to membership from any dealer, the board of directors consists of people who are very interested in industry reform issues and want to insure that retailers have the education to operate their stores in the most ethical manner possible.

MAC- The Marine Aquarium Council- www.aquariumcouncil.org

MAC is a non-profit organization made up of many "stakeholders", including industry and conservation interests. The main goal of MAC is to certify the entire chain of collection, which begins at the collector and ends at the retailer. This certification is meant to help hobbyists determine where their animals are coming from and that they were collected and handled in the most ethical way possible. The program was launched recently, and companies can now begin applying for certification.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Mary.

Although AMDA is open to membership from any dealer, the board of directors consists of people who are very interested in industry reform issues

At the time of the last AMDA board elections we talked briefly about how the new board was interested in some fundamental reforms. Did anything along these lines ever get implemented, or are they in the 'lack of funds' category as well?

MaryHM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still in the "lacking funds" category unfortunately. It's really disheartening to have great ideas and a team of people who are willing to follow through on them, but no $$ to implement anything. AMDA is going to start trying to get some grant money for the projects it wants to start, but unfortunately that is probably several months away. AMDA is run by all volunteers- volunteers who have their own businesses to run.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've heard a lot about MAC and AMDA. What are they actually and how are they different? I have inquired into joining them for my store and haven't really gotten anywhere. Are they still in the planning stages or what??

Glenn

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would these, as Jeremy put it, "rotten disgusting businesses" be aloud to join this organization? Am I missing something here?
Steve

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Briefly, Steve, AMDA does not police it's members, nor have any membership requirements other then sending in the check to cover yearly fees. So many disreputable dealers are members of AMDA, primarily so they can put the sticker on their door and their ads to make people think they're more responsible then they are.

In fairness, in previous conversations I've had with Mary she's indicated that the newest board of AMDA would like to change the way it currently works. Hence my question above, asking what the status of reforms was.

JeremyR

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I asked John Tullock that same question a few years ago, he said because if you kick out bad companies, they might sue.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So of the two MAC is currently the most respected?? What are the requirements for joining?

Glenn

JeremyR

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of the reason I have never joined AMDA myself is because for all the talk, they have never accomplished anything, and the majority of members are rotten disgusting businesses. I won't name names.. but especially on the wholesale end there were some pretty ugly members. I talked about this with mary.. and I would probably consider joining if I thought anything would ever happen, or if I could make a difference... but I don't think it will or that I could, not the way it is presently setup as taking membership from anyone who wants to join with no real enforcable standards.

MaryHM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AMDA is a trade organization- not an elite store organization. I think that's where people get confused. Yes, AMDA has a list of standards, but there is no way to make people abide by them. It's impossible to check every store that wants to join. That's why AMDA has decided to be an all encompassing trade organization that offers a "policing type program" to interested members. That is the main plan that is suffering due to lack of funds. The plan is pretty much hammered out, we just need some $$ to get it off the ground.

To join MAC, just go to their website www.aquariumcouncil.org- no requirements to join.

MaryHM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPC- The general idea is to have set criteria for stores to follow (those criteria for the most part have already been worked out). Then the stores would be inspected on an annual basis to insure that they were still up to par. There would be a fee for this inspection paid for by the retailers. Is it the total and complete answer to everything? No. Unless someone is in a store 24/7 you can never be 100% sure that everything going on is right. However, it is a step in the right direction.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However, it is a step in the right direction.

Indeed, it's a very significant step. As an aside for those who don't know the background, in prior years AMDA was not interested in policing it's membership at all. While what Mary's talking about may not seem that big a deal, it's a major step for the organization.

jamesw

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve:

You are...
icon_smile.gif

Cheers
James

MaryHM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPC-

This is a serious point of contention, as the president, Randy Goodlet, and I disagree on who would be best to handle the inspections. Since this part of the program is still heavily on the drawing table, I'll refrain from commenting one way or another. However, as soon as a decision is made (hopefully within a month or so), I'll let everyone know.

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What James said is what was on my mind. It would seem to me like hobbiest could be a part of this inspection policy. I understand that there could be problems with this, conflicts of interest etc... but there may be enough hobbiest that would indeed be honest, and best of all would work for free
icon_biggrin.gif
Steve

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why couldn't something like this be done through record keeping? Pet stores already have to account for and record and be able to track every animal they buy except rodents, inverts, and fish. Why couldn't a simple fatality report be drawn up and filled out on a regular basis? Sure there is the potential for dishonesty but it would be better than any 'ol disgruntled customer/hobbyist having the ability to cause trouble for you.

Glenn

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: