MaryHM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I just updated http://www.reefsource.com with lots of new information!

News on the California Caulerpa Bill and the Australian Coral Harvest ban.

Just for fun...A cute Christmas poem just for reefers!

MUST READ ARTICLE- Alternatives to the destructive techniques of the food fishing industry. Why can't the aquarium industry start doing the same thing???

The links to the pictures from Bill & Jackie Crockett's trip to REL Fisheries in Fiji have been fixed.

Our new fish building is coming right along! See the new pics!

We attended the Marine Ornamentals 2001 Conference a couple of weeks ago. News and pics.

And of course a reminder to participate in my new forum on reefs.org- The Industry Behind the Hobby.

ENJOY!

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mary, I see its all tied together with the World Wildlife Fund which I have been a member of for many years. Guess I am helping a little more than I thought
icon_smile.gif
Steve

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mary, is their a link that you can supply for the TNC or other organizations metioned in the Newsweek article? The reason I ask this is I would like to see what I can do in order to possibly assist their efforts.
Steve

npaden

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mary,

As far as your "MUST READ ARTICLE- Alternatives to the destructive techniques of the food fishing industry. Why can't the aquarium industry start doing the same thing???" I think the aquarium industry has a few success stories like this already out there.

Here is a feel good article that I really like on saving the giant clam population in Tonga by creating clam sancuatries:

http://www.tellusconsultants.com/tongan.html

The intial project was done in 1986 and there is some follow up information in the article as well. This seems like an excellent prototype to follow, however greed is a very strong characteristic in many people and sustainable harvesting is still the exception and not the norm.

Still a very interesting article though.

FWIW, Nathan

[ December 10, 2001: Message edited by: npaden ]</p>

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good article Nathan, looks like this would work for many marine animals. So, what does the average hobbiest do to help implement more of these?
Steve

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: