amphiprion

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
As I am getting ready to purchase several hundred pounds of Live Rock, I have come across some very conflicting opinion among hobbyist. I need your opinion on this Live rock dilemma I have.

My question is, is it wise to use All Aquacultured Rock because its cheaper but same thing, or just use other Reef Rock (Fiji, Tonga, MI) or just mixes of everything?

Here’s some of the information I know from other hobbyist...

-Aquacultured Rock are very heavy because they are cultured with solid rock while another group of people claim, no they are even lighter than the Natural Reef Rock. (In my experience with my current tank's rock, they are Aquacultured and very heavy while in my LFS, Premium Fiji and Tonga rock are not so heavy).

-Some claim that wild rock (e.g. fiji, Marshall Island, Tonga) often brings unwelcome guest while Aquacultured rock usually don't. For example, often the Marshall Island Rocks are full of Bristle Worms
icon_eek.gif
There are also opinion where folks say, Florida Aquacultured are just as much bad for unwanted hitch hiker.

Obviously Cheap in price for the Aquacultured Rock, but I have noticed some WFS (Web Fish Store) offer Fiji for same price as Florida Rock.

Regards

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use aquaculture because I feel better about this hobby producing what it consumes and because it is LIFE that we are trying to get. Just by the fact that it is so close it has more life in it. You can buy it to where there is very little "curing" to do. Curing is because you are waiting for all the life you paid for to die off because of how it was shipped and the amount of time it is not submerged.

You are buying two different products, why you buy is your decision.

amphiprion

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then would it make sense for me to buy uncure Liverock and cure it in my tank which have at least more chance of keeping (more life) ? Since this is a brand new start, amonia and other spike shouldn't be too much concern (except for the fact, the tank is in my living room and smell can be a factor
icon_rolleyes.gif

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have any experience with overseas rock. The Florida rock that I get, it is very easy to cycle with. I do water changes to preserve as much life as possible. I have never had a problem with odor. Then again Tampa is only a 2 hour drive for me and the rock just came out of the ocean.

JeremyR

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never cared for the tampa region gulf aquacultured rock.. it's really heavy boulderish stuff. I do however like the florida keys aquacultured rock that is coming to market now, it has a better variety of goodies than the gulf aquacultured as well. FWIW.

reefin geek

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought some aquaculture today. In my opinion it is the nicest rock I have seen in Ontario over the past year.

JeremyR

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishfarmer:
Depends on what's on it. I've gotten some really neat sponge/tunicate growth out of florida rock, and that cladacora (Sp?) coral usually lives, but paying extra for that coral has never made alot of sense to me as it ins't particularly interesting. However, I am impressed with the KEYS rock (most aquarock previously has been GULF rock) that I'm getting from dynasty marine... it's got a bazillion tubeworms of various colors, alot of macro algae, and a few stony corals here and there. It's been down 5 years, and will only get better. It also isn't the boulderish crap that everyone else put down, so it's more saleable to a retailer, and the price is competitive with pacific rock. The only knock against it is a lack of coralline coverage, but that will grow in the tank no problem, and there is enough life on the rock to make it worth it. This is the first aquarock I've been able to sell, the customer response to the gulf rock has been "well, I spose it looks ok, but it's freaking heavy man.. and the shape sucks". And then it sat in my tub, and sat in my tub..

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had excessive die off of my Fla rock. I am more tham happy with it and would not consider any other rock unless I saw some that was even close to having the same amount of life.
IMO, Fla rock sitting next to the Pacific rock is a no brainer for me when I compare the two. I will admit however that I have not seen the really good Pacific rock I have been told about. All the Pacific rock I have seen has very little life on it.
Steve

fishfarmer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking into purchasing Florida rock. Two different retailers I talked to hadn't found a Florida cultured rock that they liked. One of the retailers told me that much of the life on the cultured Florida rock will die because of the warmer temps that we are keeping our tanks at.

Has anyone whose kept cultured Florida LR for any length of time noticed temperature being a problem?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: