• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

We had a little bit of a copper discussion a while back and I wanted to bring it back up again. :)

Those of you who use it, what protocols do you use? (ie levels and techniques)
And what other parasite eradication do you employ?
What about bacterial and fungal infections?

JennM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Seachem Cupramine, according to package directions. We use a Red Sea test kit to monitor the levels and find it very easy to dose accurately. I've tried the Seachem Copper test kit and couldn't get a clear result...

Polyfilter, Cuprisorb and even Carbon will pull most of it out.

We only use it occasionally, when we see a need, if one or more fishes show more than a few dots. If one fish has a few spots, we use FW dip first, and if practical, move the fish to the reef system where it can be cleaned by cleaner shrimp - but haven't had to do this for a long time.

Fortunately my suppliers also use copper, and they are careful handlers, so it's very rare that I get a fish with a problem.

Shortly after we first opened the store, we got a "bad" shipment of fish from a certain large California wholesaler, and the fish contracted what we believe was Vibrio. We didn't send for a pathology (nearly did) but with our veterinarian's help we got it under control. Unfortunately, UPS decided to lose the medications I ordered, and then mangled the bottles of liquid... when it was all said and done I had 16 fish left :( Fortunately at that time we were still building onto our FO section, and not all the tanks were plumbed and online, so the system wasn't fully stocked. Still I lost about $2500 wholesale in fish. Needless to say I don't order from that wholesaler anymore - I know "stuff happens" but when I called them about it, they said it was impossible, because they use UV... (so do I!). I heard from other retailers who used that wholesaler at that time, that they had problems too -coincidence, methinks not. For that we used antibiotics prescribed by our veterinarian - Oxytetracycline - in the food, that didn't stop it. We bought a product called "Revive" by Fish Vet Inc. It's similar to Ruby Reef's "Rally" (Ruby Reef guy used to work for Fish Vet I think), and it had several compounds including formalin.

The freshwater dip is still our first line of defence for most minor issues, especially flukes and minor parasitic infestations.

I use Acetazolomide (again prescribed by my Vet) for gas bubble disease in seahorses - this works very well, 1/4 of a 250 mg tablet per 10 gallons. That med is used for Glaucoma and Edaema in humans, and works wonders for seahorses.

Hope this helps.

Jenn

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: