TuskFish

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't post in here much, but am always lurking :lol: and figured I'd add my bio. I don't see too many people from the manufacturing side of the industry in here, so perhaps I can contribute something.

My name is Tony Nista. Born, raised, and still residing in the Cleveland, OH area. I have been in the industry, and the hobby, for the past 22 years, starting with a part time job at an LFS in high school. I managed two of the largest LFS in the market in the early and mid 90's, both well known stores that specialized in marine fish and the blossoming mini reef hobby. I still remember vividly the people lined up each week to see the latest shipments arriving, as not many stores were carrying corals, let alone SPS corals, in those days. We would get 15 to 20 boxes of coral a week from SDC, which was when I got to know Eric.
Following a brief stint with PetsMart (not a happy time in my life), I was hired by Tetra as a sales rep/ detailer in October of 1996, where I have worked ever since. Three years ago, Tetra was acquired by Spectrum Brands and we became part of United Pet Group. I now sell not only Tetra, but also Marineland, Perfecto, Instant Ocean, Jungle Labs, plus several dog/cat/small animal/ bird lines to distributors in the northeast US and Canada. I have been to hundreds, if not thousands, of LFS around the US and Canada in the course of my job, which enables me to offer some insight on the state of the retail business from a somewhat different perspective.
I am currently maintaining 4 reef tanks ranging from 60 to 125 gallons. I have served as Vice President of the Cleveland Saltwater Enthusiasts club, have attended most of the major hobbyist conferences for the past 17 years, have had one of my old aquariums featured in Mike Paletta's Ultimate Marine Aquariums, and had several articles published. I have also had the pleasure of meeting and becoming friends with several of the regular contributors here in this forum (you know who you are :lol: )

Anyhow, I hope that I can contribute something to this forum. Unlike most of the regular contributors, I don't own, or officially speak for my company, but perhaps there is something I can add.

Cheers!

StevenPro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
StevenPro":18n26oc8 said:
I am a bit surprised to see myself named in this group, but since you asked I will tell you all a bit about myself as briefly as possible.

I have been working full-time in the industry for over 12 years now (For the past 7 1/2 years, I have been self-employed.) primarily in the design, sales, installation, and maintenance of aquarium displays. But, prior to be self-employed, I did my fair share of time working the sales floor of the local pet store.

I do a lot of writing and speaking for the hobby. I have had over 40 articles published and presented at more than 50 clubs and conferences across the US.

Previously, I served for one year on the Board of Directors of the American Marinelife Dealers Association (AMDA) and am currently serving on the board for the Marine Aquarium Society of North America (MASNA). I was also co-chair for the 19th annual Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MASNA 19).

Just a little update. Since originally making the above post, I have taken a job as East Coast Sales Manager for Red Sea.

camaroracer214

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a little about me:

I've been around fish all my life. Freshwater growing up, then branching on to saltwater at an older age. I have a Bachelor's of Science Degree in Marine Biology and I have some experience working in local fish stores. I recently got the call from the Kemah Aquarium (a restaurant with many aquariums located inside) where I will be their "coral guy" since I apparently impressed them enough to get to take care of their coral tanks. You have no idea how exciting it is to be told you get this big ass tank and huge budget all to yourself to do as you will.

I have had many tanks, but have been forced down to just one. I have a 180 gallon SPS dominant reef tank sitting in my one bedroom apartment :D . I frequently propagate SPS and zoas mostly since those tend to be the faster growers in my system and the easiest sellers in my community. I do have a website in the works for coral sales (hopefully not too far off) and I have a good relationship with many wholesalers and a few good inside contacts.

When I first got into the saltwater aspect of aquarium keeping (which doesn't seem to far back) I researched the crap out of everything. I was able to avoid most mistakes, though not all, and I feel like I have a much greater grip than the average hobbyist. I've organized events for my local reef club on occasion, and I'm next on the list to being a board member on their site as well. I love to spread knowledge to fellow reefkeepers there and other places and help them grow as I have.

Thanks,
Brandon Klaus

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah.. really? I know someone who's trying to work something out with you folks for other HID lighting applications.

condiman

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know none of my experiences mean much compaired to many of your others but I hope one day that I may join the list of whos who. Currently I run my own Aquarium Service company and as of right now from what I can tell that I am the largest and fastest growing service company in Central to Nothern Wisconsin. Who knows maybe intime I will be up ther with the rest of you all.

fishinchick

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well since I'm getting back into this hobby again I ought to just post my stuff up. I'll be brief

Fishinchick
Adrienne Longo

Started into the hobby in 1993 working for Verlees Fancy Pets and Fish. I wasn't afraid of sticking my hands in the tanks and the other girls were.

Had tanks from 10 - 180 gallons
Grown clownfish, Bangaii Cardinals, Sea Horses, worked on raising mandarin gobies and cleaner shrimp ...

Industry Experience:
Worked for Sea Dwelling Creatures in receiving then sales then the front office.

Worked for Marine Depot Live and set up their live holding systems for fish and corals, did tech support, kept it all running. Also updated the information on the website, added additional animals and wsywig section and provided pictures for the site as well.

Set up Blue Zoo Aquatics from the ground up - particularly the livestock departments packing and shipping procedures, updated website with information and photography.

Quit the hobby in 2005. Sold everything, got rid of it all ... being dragged back into it sort of kicking and screaming and moving very shortly to Central Florida with more fun to come soon .... Go me. :)

I can't quit you guys no matter how hard I try. I'm a lifer apparently. :?

dain45yl

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could Jay Hemdahl and Steve Robinson please provide summaries of their experiences and background here in this thread. You both have done a lot and we need your information.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dain45yl":20ijxv24 said:
Could Jay Hemdahl and Steve Robinson please provide summaries of their experiences and background here in this thread. You both have done a lot and we need your information.

Hi,

They posted on the first page of this thread. :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_":2lgfav2m said:
dain45yl":2lgfav2m said:

Hi,

Obviously the Matt_Bot needs to go in for repairs and reprogramming.

That "person" is just spamming with the sig link... :roll:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GratefulDiver":131ay0lo said:
Matt_":131ay0lo said:
dain45yl":131ay0lo said:

Hi,

Obviously the Matt_Bot needs to go in for repairs and reprogramming.

That "person" is just spamming with the sig link... :roll:

Ah, thanks. I can't see his sig, because I have them turned off in my profile. :D I will give him credit for having a very clever way to spam. He copies and pastes from other posts to make the content appear genuinely "reefkeeper-esque", rather than posting something stupid like "see Russian girlies here!"

I will kill it with fire.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: