vaporize

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jadefox":17fln1os said:
Raskal311":17fln1os said:
It’s more who you know within the wholesaler and not so much what wholesaler you know of.

I can see that, but the three examples I referenced are all people going direct to a country-of-origin supplier and cutting out the wholesaler step altogether.

You guys might just be seeing that, but that's almost the NORM in my country or at least for the bigger cities where competition is fierce.

aquaticvet1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point I was making is that many do not know who actually owns their supplier. As with PAF and others they sell retailers but directly compete with them by also being their Internet competitor. You can be supporting your competition and not even know it.

I have been guilty of doing that out of ignorance and not keeping up with changing ownership. PAF is a good example, Dave was a good supplier of mine while at the same time he was LiveAquaria's main competitor. Dave, via his majority ownership in BlueZooAquatics sells direct and competes with his LFS businesses and LiveAquaria. He is taking business from both of us by selling direct. A sign of the times, we have to live that , just do the best we can.

As I mentioned it only makes sense to change with the times and survive and that is what PAF is doing. I do not really blame Dave and I wish him well.

Etailers and retailers must evolve too! Tough economic roads ahead but so be it, time for all of us to improve or get out. This industry may be done growing forever, and remember,---- the down turn began before the recession, it may not fully recover with the economy.

Raskal311

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aquaticvet1":dvq13znx said:
The point I was making is that many do not know who actually owns their supplier. As with PAF and others they sell retailers but directly compete with them by also being their Internet competitor. You can be supporting your competition and not even know it.

I have been guilty of doing that out of ignorance and not keeping up with changing ownership. PAF is a good example, Dave was a good supplier of mine while at the same time he was LiveAquaria's main competitor. Dave, via his majority ownership in BlueZooAquatics sells direct and competes with his LFS businesses and LiveAquaria. He is taking business from both of us by selling direct. A sign of the times, we have to live that , just do the best we can.

As I mentioned it only makes sense to change with the times and survive and that is what PAF is doing. I do not really blame Dave and I wish him well.

Etailers and retailers must evolve too! Tough economic roads ahead but so be it, time for all of us to improve or get out. This industry may be done growing forever, and remember,---- the down turn began before the recession, it may not fully recover with the economy.

Not only that but they are the worst at selling directly to the hobbyist at wholesale level.

Everyone knows they just don’t care... Trust me on this I shop in person at PAF and talk too many of their customers; they all know. I tried my best to take my business else where but still finding myself coming back. Problem is there isn’t really anyone else that has the coral selection PAF does.

I guess they do what they need too to survive. Every wholesaler I go to is complaining about the economy. I’ve even had two offer me a sell first pay later deal :S It's getting that bad for some of them.

Ret_Talbot

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, Guys.

Thanks for the posts, but can we please stay on topic in this forum? This thread is about retailers (online or B&M) who buy direct from country-of-origin suppliers they refer to as "secret". The point aquaticvet1 makes regarding a retailer not knowing who may own a country of origin supplier is interesting, but it strikes me that people pretty much know who owns the big collection stations. As for an employee of one of those collection stations who freelances, that's another beast altogether. In fact I just got an e-mail from a guy describing exactly that.

Ret_Talbot

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dizzy":j2g05d96 said:
Jadefox,
Are still wrapping up the article or is it done yet?

Great question...lol...

These things never seem to be truly finished. Especially when new stuff keeps coming my way. As a freelancer, I always have TOO MANY balls in the air at any one time. This topic still interests me, however, and I have a hunch there is more to explore.

bobimport

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no secrets in the import trade all imports pass through F&W and are public record under the Freedom of Information act. included's 3-177's invoice and air bill

Saltlick

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is like the cuban cigar boards, parallel down to the last detail. Someone starts a thread about how
we all started from having NO sources for authentic CCs online, doesn't even ONE of those people want to
show a little pity on someone, remembering when they themselves were "ignorant"? No matter how you
rephrase the question or justify the reasoning behind your request, you are asking for somethaing that
stays protected for a dozen different reasons, none of them personal, but people don't like to share info
they got the hard way. EVEN with the huge help to be found in the internet, there is still a forest of pitfalls
to navigate through to get to where you have to be to keep food on your own table. I mean what can you DO?

Saltlick

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aquaticvet1":93d2q2g1 said:
Dave, via his majority ownership in BlueZooAquatics sells direct and competes with his LFS businesses and LiveAquaria. He is taking business from both of us by selling direct. A sign of the times, we have to live that , just do the best we can..
Boy, you just never can stop whipping a dead horse and being called an animal rights violator for doing it can you?
You are the definition of sour grapes. It seems like you feel your only recourse is to put this info out there over
and over and over until it sticks somewhere. I actually bought livestock from BZA and gave your whining about it
constantly as my "who referred you" answer. :wink:

PeterIMA

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To Jade Fox, On topic? I don't see that any of this thread (now very long) has been on topic. Nobody has revealed on-line their "secret" overseas suppliers. I guess that is why they were termed "secret" suppliers.

Actually, it is quite easy to find overseas suppliers/exporters either on the web or through Freedom of information act with USFWS (as noted by BobImport). But, I can understand why importers/wholesalerss and large retailers who buy direct are reluctant to name their suppliers. Perhaps you should have asked them to name those suppliers they do not recommend (the unreliable or dishonest suppliers).

Peter

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: