Ret_Talbot

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's going on over at MOFIB? Elections for new board but little if any transparency or process?

Here's the thread: http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/view ... =45&t=4755

I'd be eager to know your thoughts. It strikes me there has never been a more important time for an organization such as MOFIB in the industry, but this makes the organization look unprofessional and disorganized (at best).

Thoughts?

jhemdal1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ehhh, what a mess,

I've seen a few organizations implode like that - local clubs usually, but I recall seeing a few online coups before. Sometimes things get better once the smoke clears, but usually not. Too bad, I was just getting back into marine fish propagation and had planned to become more active on MOFIB, but it looks like the main people are going to be a bit preoccupied with politics....

Jay

Ret_Talbot

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jhemdal":3xttcsww said:
ehhh, what a mess,

I've seen a few organizations implode like that - local clubs usually, but I recall seeing a few online coups before. Sometimes things get better once the smoke clears, but usually not. Too bad, I was just getting back into marine fish propagation and had planned to become more active on MOFIB, but it looks like the main people are going to be a bit preoccupied with politics....

Jay

I hear ya, Jay. It striked me that there has never been a more important time to have a viable, well-populated forum for breeders. I'm hoping it will just blow over, but wearing their politics on their sleeves does not bode well IMO.

Alas.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jhemdal":3e5a6z2b said:
ehhh, what a mess,

Jay

They all have still been active on posting re: breeding. No matter what, all will still post. I have no doubt MOFIB will pull through with flying colors. You have to understand running an international online forum with BOD in different countries where things are done different then the other countries makes for hard time deal. They've been working hard to resolve these issues and have pressed forward the entire time as evident by the upgrades :D Give them some time and go easy on them, they surely DO NOT need a RDO ribbing from you all :P

mpedersen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gresh mentioned to me that this thread was going here - admittedly I'm usually too busy to hang around most forums other than MOFIB!

Wasn't sure it'd be appropriate to respond given I'm on the BOD and it's an organization I co-founded. So yeah, I'm biased. But, I'll just offer up responses on points raised and keep the rest of my venemous commentary on MOFIB where it belongs.

I just want to say that for better or for worse, the bylaws agreed at the time of incorporation stated that ALL MOFIB website members are "members" of the organization. Which meant that anyone who registers on the website is a voter in any BOD election. Yes, I suppose that means any of you who want a say in this can actually just go over and register and whoo hoo..you're a voter. Yes, I suppose I can ask my entire high school class to register and vote for me. Not advocating that people stuff the ballot box though, but I'm sayin..this isn't really a good situation IMO.

If everyone who's a registered member has a vote, it's my stance that everyone needs to be an informed voter. For better or for worse, the politics have to come into play so we have informed decision makers.

It's amazing how little it takes to bring the whole thing screaching to a hault. I honestly never thought it'd happen in MOFIB, not in a million years. Afterall, we're altruistic, non-commercial, not-for-profit, 100% volunteer run, it's not about egos, it's about saving our hobby through captive propagation, no one is going to bring dirty politics and personal agendas into this group, never! And yet, people are people.

This is the second time I've been burned in a partnership / collaborative type arrangement..the first time was totally unrelated, but I have to say my biggest lesson is to not let my head talk me out of listening to my gut, even if the gut decision is a harder decision. Life lessons..something we all are continually learning, right?

We'll see how much optimism I have when the smoke clears - I'm not making predictions at this time. Hey, go check out my article in the March/April '09 issue of CORAL...amazing that I'd be at such polar oposites in my life, with one massive high, and one crushing low, all within the same month, and all within my aquairum hobby.

FWIW,

Matt

Ret_Talbot

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GreshamH":3rxw90vs said:
They all have still been active on posting re: breeding. No matter what, all will still post. I have no doubt MOFIB will pull through with flying colors. You have to understand running an international online forum with BOD in different countries where things are done different then the other countries makes for hard time deal. They've been working hard to resolve these issues and have pressed forward the entire time as evident by the upgrades :D Give them some time and go easy on them, they surely DO NOT need a RDO ribbing from you all :P

I hear you, Gresham, and I wasn't suggesting they deserve a ribbing. I was just truly curious as to what was happening. The fact that this election was announced in such a sloppy fashion and out of nowhere made it feel like a seat-of-its-pants operation just when MOFIB was getting some well-earned respect through their advertising campaigns and greater familiarity amongst hobbyists. If they need to do something drastic, fine, but do it in a professional, well-reasoned manner. This industry needs some enthusiasm around breeding, and MOFIB has done a great job at providing a forum. By the way, you've been nominated ;-)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:oops: I couldn't log on until after I posted here due to some account issues. I was just afraid on the normal RDO ribbing that usually occurs. I wasn't suggesting either you or Jay where suggesting that and I apologize to both for not making that clear up front (and it sure looks like I was saying that after another reading). One thing I really fear is I think there have been some violations of the NPO rules putting MOFIB at risk of loosing it's NPO status, and why? BOD's fight all the time and if there is no mechanism in place to deal with it, they have to either step down or suck it up until the next elections. You can't make up bylaws with out proper procedures.

I'd be honored to serve on the MOFIB BOD, thanks for the nomination :) I would like to see this resolved quickly but transparent, legal and by following the bylaws in place. If there is no bylaw to hold early elections some one will need to step down. Being Matt has been the glue and vision of MOFIB I would like to see him stay on. I think one criteria for being on the BOD is you are up on the NPO laws and can be held accountable under US law. I think it is unwise to have BOD members in other countries that can not be held accountable as then they can pretty much do what they want.

mpedersen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say this much again, I have certainly made some mistakes in the incorporation of this organization. One of those mistakes was the incorporation, which I did largely to separate MOFIB from my family and personal assets. Like I said, altruistic to think of it as a NPO, when it should have been made an LLC or similar (again, hindsight). I myself was on the tear for 501(c)3 status, still hasn't happened, but again, that status to me typifies what MOFIB is supposed to be about. Here for EVERYONE, equally.

GreshamH":23zimsai said:
I think it is unwise to have BOD members in other countries that can not be held accountable as then they can pretty much do what they want.

We ALL made foolish mistakes in the rush to incorporate. Our first bylaws were full of problems. Since the new ones on the site now are probably not legal, well, IDK..but they're really not any better/different.

To explain why we have a non-US BOD member - Luis A Magnasco was chosen as our 3rd "founding BOD member" because I had found him to be extremely generous and an asset to the breeding community. He has offered me great personal help in my own breeding endeavors. And additionally, as the intent was to have MOFIB be truly international, it made sense that we not all be based in the US. Furthermore, I personally thought that Luis was very impartial and objective, being a scientiest himself.

For the record, again, I'll leave the backstory for MOFIB's pages, but this whole mess started when I asked, and then put up to vote, for Dr. John Lauth's resignation from the BOD. So in that respect, I did bring this on myself. Of course, they should've just voted ME OUT.

To Luis's credit, he does not have my personal support in any of these actions, but I still trust that he is spearheading this in what he believes is in the best interests of the organization, regardless of the actual "realities" of bylaws and the law.

I've thought about resigning - A LOT. But, I do have a duty to our donors to make sure the law and the rules are abided. Which puts me under a tremendous amount of stress in fighting against mulitple BOD membes and a couple mods. Tell me guys, is it worth it?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is worth it. Many NPOs, especially ones that grow from hobbies, go through a painful shakedown. Hopefully, this is the last one for MOFIB. Since the BOD is currently 'broken' perhaps you should call for an interim committee made up of 5 people who are not currently on the BOD currently to manage the current situation. A total of 3 BOD members who don't agree and won't step down and are at odd with each other is a recipe for insanity IMO. Now that I think of it, the moderators could have run this election if that was really how they felt.

Sorry this is happening Matt - it can't be very fun.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the software switch MOFIB has become the slowest forum I belong to hands down. Not only that but I still am unable to post. As the church lady once said, "how convenient". Every forum switch, page view, post attempt and PM attempt ends in me having to log back in (despite clicking the stay logged in button every time) then after that it send me to the usual "no post mode specified" error. I wonder how many other people have been silenced due to the software "upgrade"???

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GreshamH":353yyi68 said:
Since the software switch MOFIB has become the slowest forum I belong to hands down. Not only that but I still am unable to post. As the church lady once said, "how convenient". Every forum switch, page view, post attempt and PM attempt ends in me having to log back in (despite clicking the stay logged in button every time) then after that it send me to the usual "no post mode specified" error. I wonder how many other people have been silenced due to the software "upgrade"???

I am having the same problem.

Clownfish75

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks

Just to address some issues raised here, i hope it does help.

Safari could possibly cause some issues with speed i am told, personally i dotn use it but i have just been told this.

I also had initial login issues when the board was moved from phpbb2 to phpbb3, very similar to what Gresham describes.

I solved it by not using my favourites or links but by typing in the www.marinebreeder.org domain, then following through the front page, etc. This appeared to solve my issues.

Also if you have any further problems please email [email protected]

Thanks

Christian

spk

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks,
If you are having problems with logins, please contact us and we will get the issue resolved.
Please try the following if you are still having problems.

1) Clear your browser cache. I know that this was one of my problems when the board first moved from PHPBB2 to 3.
if the above does not help resolve the problem.
2) Clear the cookie cache.

The switch to the PHPBB3 software release happened nearly 3 weeks ago.
Give us a shout if there are any further problems.
Thanks
Steve

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thales":3vnymhwj said:
Is there a conflict of interest with the new BOD member?

While I like Mark and think he's a very knowledgeable guy, he's never really shown any online interest in the workings of MOFIB or even really posting on it. Seems odd to bring in a new BOD member that hasn't taken part in the org. I know, I know, he lives in that state.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish75":lyui2rfe said:
Hi Folks

Just to address some issues raised here, i hope it does help.

Safari could possibly cause some issues with speed i am told, personally i dotn use it but i have just been told this.

I also had initial login issues when the board was moved from phpbb2 to phpbb3, very similar to what Gresham describes.

I solved it by not using my favourites or links but by typing in the http://www.marinebreeder.org domain, then following through the front page, etc. This appeared to solve my issues.

Also if you have any further problems please email [email protected]

Thanks

Christian

Hi Christian,

I did email support@ and it bounced back (timed out). Why, well due to all the goings on with the URLS. I'm actually fairly computer savvy and tried all that right off the bat and it didn't help.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
spk":1bmf72lo said:
Folks,
If you are having problems with logins, please contact us and we will get the issue resolved.
Please try the following if you are still having problems.

1) Clear your browser cache. I know that this was one of my problems when the board first moved from PHPBB2 to 3.
if the above does not help resolve the problem.
2) Clear the cookie cache.

The switch to the PHPBB3 software release happened nearly 3 weeks ago.
Give us a shout if there are any further problems.
Thanks
Steve

I've done all that and non helped me :( It's been a problem for nearly three weeks hence me not posting for three weeks :( Took me several days to even get through the unsolvable captcha that since has been fixed. I'm not blaming anyone, I'm just bummed I have been effectively banned from the site since I can't post.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: