oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I have this crab in my tank which I believe to be an emerald crab. Its not green like the typical emerald crabs. It has more of a light brown or pink coloration.
I've seen it eat a longnose hawk. The hawk was new to the tank and was only in there for 1-week. I never saw it eat, so its likely the crab is not guilty of any crime. Nevertheless, this guy is HUGE and I'm getting very worried because a few nights ago I saw him tormenting my 2 Chromis and clown goby who all sleeps in a giant birdsnest. He was on top of the birds next colony trying to grab at them.

BTW, I tried to grab him with an Ehiem tong but he held onto a piece of rock, and I swear I was able to lift the rock with him holding onto it (rock is at least 5lbs.) He lost an arm with this attempt, so now he runs away when he sees me approaching the tank.

See videos below. Any identification or recommendation would be appreciated. In the first video he appeared to be a model citizen, eating GHA. But thats the first time I saw him do that. That GHA has been like that for several weeks.

Video 1
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xIFVD-hVSG0

Video 2
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dDlBXZeN1YE

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Looks like a ruby red crab and considered reef safe but remember reef safe is a general term, if you want to get him out use a tall glass jar or cup and lean it against a rock at night with some food; odds are in the AM you'll have a few critters caught as they cant climb the glass to get out.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Are there any sort of white dots on its body? Looks like a strawberry crab in which is theoretically harmless. IMO better then mythrax crabs aka emerald crabs. Personally that's my preferred crab to have in an aquarium. I wouldn't worry about it grabbing and holding a healthy fish but anything on its way out is fair game. They scavenge worst thing it'll do is possibly knock over a frag.

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Looks like a ruby red crab and considered reef safe but remember reef safe is a general term, if you want to get him out use a tall glass jar or cup and lean it against a rock at night with some food; odds are in the AM you'll have a few critters caught as they cant climb the glass to get out.

I think its a mytrax crab. I feel that he has gotten too big for my tank so I captured it and its in the sump in a water bottle until this weekend. I will give it to my cousin.

Crabs are food not friends
I like king/snow crab legs. This guy is currently king of tiny ittty bitty crabs. And he gives me the hibeey-gibbeys. So he gotta go.

Are there any sort of white dots on its body? Looks like a strawberry crab in which is theoretically harmless. IMO better then mythrax crabs aka emerald crabs. Personally that's my preferred crab to have in an aquarium. I wouldn't worry about it grabbing and holding a healthy fish but anything on its way out is fair game. They scavenge worst thing it'll do is possibly knock over a frag.

No white dots. I think its a mythrax crab.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: