A

Anonymous

I've had one for about 7 months. Here's my experience. When i first got it i put it mid-way up in my tank. I use two 400W 10K bulbs and 2 160W vho actinics.

The coral bleached really bad. I thought i was going to lose it. I moved the coral to the lowest part of the tank and left it there for about 2 months while it recovered. These corals are really hardy and can recover from bleaching.

After it recovered i slowly started moving it up in the tank and now it's in the same spot where it originally bleached. It is showing good growth on the the surround rock and on the tips.

The polyps on this coral can be seen expanded maybe two or three days a month. Other people with this coral have noted the same thing.

From what i understand this is what's known as a dead-end species. It hasn't evolved much in many millions of years.

Hope this helps.

-SteveG

A

Anonymous

I have purchased a nice piece of Blue Ridge coral. Does anyone have any experience with this coral.
Thanks

A

Anonymous

Steve
Thanks for the info . I purchased the coral on Saturday and have it set up about 10 inches from 2 250w mh's . I also read where this coral may open up maybe once a month, I will watch it for bleaching and move it if necessary.
Thanks
Andy

------------------

A

Anonymous

I've had a piece of blue ridge coral for about 10 mos. now. It came on a piece of live rock with some sinularia brassica and a couple of sponges. At first, it bleached around the edges, and there was a big bald spot in the middle, but it is now starting to add skeleton material to it's base (really noticeable in the last month or so), and the bald spot has totally filled in. It's about 10-12 inches below 285 watts of VHO lighting, in medium current.

I haven't figured out the polyp extension on this coral. At first, they extended only a day or two a month. Now, they come out a couple of times a month for 2-3 days at a time. I first suspected it had something to do with the phases of the moon, but now I'm not so sure. My temp. is in the 76-78 range, and water quality is excellent. I've also been using phytoplankton, and have had good results with it. I use regular additions of Seachem reefplus and reefcomplete, and occasional dosing with Kalk. My other soft corals are literally exploding on this regimen.

Good luck with it.

Scott

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: