A

Anonymous

Hi

About 12 months ago I set up a leather only reef. A few of the large pieces of leather have lost their stone bases. They do not seem to be doing as well as the other pieces.
Has anyone ever used frag superglue or any other glue to anchor them to a rock. I have tried putting pieces of pea gravel under them but they do not take.
If you have experienced this situation I would appreciate your input
Thanks

A

Anonymous

Greetings,

For smaller soft corals (and leathers) you could use the super glue gel.. but for larger ones, I'd place them between two rocks (so they don't fall over) and allow them to reattach themselves naturally..

------------------
-- Tom Phillips
..Creative Reefs.. www.intltradeinstitute.com/reef.html

A

Anonymous

Fishman, One of my biggest difficulties when i entered the hobby was getting leather to stick to the rock. What has worked wonders for me has been small tacks or finishing nails. Just be certain that they are not copper as that would be bad for your fish and inverts. I hope this is helpful
smile.gif

------------------

A

Anonymous

Unless you can find stainless steel nails I would not put nails in saltwater. We use wooden toothpicks for tacking corals down.

A

Anonymous

I also use tooth picks, one time I used a couple of tooth picks and a thin wire tie to attach a clipping to a rock. Once the leather attached itself to the rock I removed the wire tie. I you have a flat piece of rock you can drill a hole through the rock, slip the leather base into the hole and on the bottom side push a toothpick through.

A

Anonymous

When I moved my long pinned leather, it came off the rock it was attached to. I glued rocks together to form a cup and inserted the leather in the hole. I had the leather on strong current and it attached within a week. The original rocks where the leather was previously attached to had pieces of leather on them and tiny leather with long pinned polyps are coming out.

------------------

http://sites.netscape.net/coralreef4andrew/reeftanks

A

Anonymous

I've had really good luck using fishing line and a sharp needle to attach leathers. Just thread the needle with the fishing line, pierce your cutting and tie it off to a rock. After it attaches, cut the line, pull it through the cutting and there you have it ...

------------------
http://www.xmission.com/~mikeb/heil.html

A

Anonymous

Reefers
Thanks for the suggestions about how to attach my large leathers. I am going to use a combination of the suggestions and try a couple of different methods. The one method I think I will pass on is the suggestion to use tacks or nails. I would like to get a look at a reef that is held together by NAILS.......
Fishman

A

Anonymous

I have had luck with the toothpick and rubber band method. (I use plastic toothpicks) I have also used wedding veil/polyester webbing with elastic bands to hold the cutting in place.

------------------
cong
http://home.att.net/~cong13/

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: