A

Anonymous

I am finally ready to begin stocking my 90 gallon set up with corals. Water chemistry is good, with plenty of water movement controlled by a wavemaker. My lighting consists of VHO/Ice Cap ballast with 2 48 inch Aquasuns(10,000k ea.) and 2 48 inch Actinic 03's. Oh yeah and A Berlin skimmer powered by a Rio 3100.

My question is are there any idiot-proof corals that you guys/girls would recommend for a beginner.

I was thinking of maybe starting with a Pulsing Xenia and a Colt. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Colt coral makes an excellent "beginner" coral. As far as xenia is concerned, some find it very difficult to grow. I would reccomend that you have the tank up and going with other corals before you try xenia. There are a number of other corals that are great for beginners. These include: mushrooms, green star polyps, yellow polyps, button polyps. Good luck in your choices. Also remember to acclimate the corals as you do fish. Sometimes it may not be necessary, but, it makes the transfer alot easier for the coral.

------------------
#reefs channel operator

A

Anonymous

The way it was explained to me was mushrooms first,polyps second or first as they both are good beginer stuff sea mat,toadstools,colt coral,bubble,pagoda,button,canycane,etc...
would wait at least 6 months for acropora and would go with birds nest( seriatopora hystrix)noble, purple tipped(acropora cerealis)Well go for it.
smile.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi Max.

A bit of advice, without preaching.

Slowly stock your tank with corals, start with soft corals, ie.IMO in order of ease of care. 1.Mushrooms/leather corals eg Sacrophyton, Polyps, xenia. Steer clear of the more difficult soft corals Christmass Tree ( Dendropythea ??) or other softies that require feeding.

Also would WAIT and do some serious reading before you even attempt to purchase any SPS?LPS Hard Corals. They are a lot more fickle and require controlled stable conditions.

The previously mentioned Seritopa Hystrix requires intensive aclimation to new conditions.A lot of Hard corals have a requirement for intense ilumination to thrive/survive. Generally unlike the softie friends.

I state the above from the position of someone who is in the process of gearing my tank up for Hard mainly SPS corals and is reading alli can regarding same.

Hope the above is of some help.

Best of luck.

G1K/Urchin

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: